Fair security question

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Shelly, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Does your fair have security guards? Are the security guards from a security business, volunteers or others? Last year and this year we had problem with the security at are fair. Most of the guards look like people we should be protect from. I've been told that the guards are people doing work release :roll:. They don't know anything about livestock some are actually afraid of the animals. These are the people who watch the animals at night and during the day to make sure know one feeds them anything, hurts them or just opens gate or put animals up if they jump out of the pens. Saw a mom yelling at one of the guard for stand and watching people feed one of their goats cotton candy. The guard say I didn't know it was bad for them. Why did he think we have don't feed the animals signs up? Other 4-h groups said the same thing or had other problems. We have a council meeting to night and I'm going to try and get each group to write a letter address this issue. So I'm would like to know what other fairs do for security. Shelly

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I think ours had volunteers and animal people there. At the state fair, we had both and at the county fair we actually had people who raise the animals that were in the barn(s) they were watching.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    IDK if our fair has good guards. One of my breeder friends spent the night in a goat pen, she was the only on there and a creepy guy walked by several times that night :shock:

4. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    At our Fair the 4H barns get closed and locked at night. The Open Class barns are all open 24/7. We have no security guards. There are barn superintendents that are supposed to keep an eye on things. Sometimes they are good and do their jobs well. Other times they are never around. The major reason I WILL NOT show my goats in the Open Class at our Fair is because the goat barn is not made for goats, the barn doors are broken so they do not close, and the barn superintendent is never around. I have been up in that barn all by myself and watched as teenagers came through and unlatched every stall as they walked down the aisle. I've seen people feed goats all sorts of yucky stuff because, after all, "goats eat anything", right!!!!!!!! :roll:

Usually in the cattle barns and the horse barns there are one or two families that camp out in an empty stall for the week to keep an eye on things. I know that if I were going to spend the night on the grounds I would definitely sleep with my pistol on me.

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    most of the shows i have been to have security gaurds there but i never leave my goats with out me being there. i will sleep in the barn,my trailer or my truck just to make sure that they are safe. if i can't stay with them then i don't show there if the barn is not locked at night.

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I when to the council meeting Tuesday night. Everyone there feels the same way my club does. So we hope to find a way to get better security or at least that a back ground check is done. The barns do have gates that get closed a 11:00pm and are open the next morning at 6:00am I believe. Know one is allowed in the barns after 11:00pm and security is posted at each gate till 6:00am. Shelly