Faitnting goats and with horned goats

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by goat fever, Dec 21, 2008.

1. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Do any of you have any advice on putting fainting goats in with horned goats or is that a big no no. We don't have any horned goats right now but my son will be getting his market goats in the spring and they most likely will have horns. Coraxfeather I know you boss has fainting goats, does she have horned goats in with her fainters. I am no so worried about the adult fainters, but a doeling. The babies faint more often then the adults and lay there for about 10 seconds.

2. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Bump. Even if you don't have any fainters let me know what you would do. Nineteen people viewed this I am sure you have an opion.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If the horned goats aren't aggressive towards them then I don't see a problem...I would watch them at first to make sure they get along though...

4. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We have both horned and polled Fainting Goats housed together and they do fine.
    It really depends on the attitude of the goats.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    head butting shouldnt cause a faint.....but I dont raise fainters so I wouldnt know. :shrug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a friend that has Cashmere and Pygmy together. The Cashmere have horns but not the all the pygmy's.

7. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    It's not that a head butt will cause a faint, it's that when the goat is trying to get away , it might stiffin or faint, allowing the other goat to beat up on it while it is down. That is the concern when housing non fainters with fainters.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    but if they grow up together they shouldnt be frightened by another goat that they are use to having around.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had horned boers with my myotonics and they did just fine. My herd queen was a myo doe and my herd king was a myo buck. But it doesnt always work out that way. I would try it but dont leave them unattended until you know that they will be okay.

10. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    It's not necessarily that they are scared by the other goats. It's a start reflex. If another goat makes a sudden movement in their direction down they go. We have fainters who have lived their whole lives together and arent afraid of each other that go down when another one makes a sudden movement. I have seen fainter tormented by other breeds of goats because they cant get away as well. At least when it's all fainters together even the aggressor is a fainter and gets stiff too. LOL