The Goat Spot Forum banner

361 - 380 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
So, Astoria is the doe who had a partial abortion back in January. After passing a healthy placenta yesterday, she had this coming out. Looks to be decaying tissue/placenta. Probably what she had tried to abort back in January. She still hasn't passed it as of this morning. So, vet advised me to flush her uterus with warm saline. Has anyone flushed a uterus before?
20210305_161824.jpg

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
You can use A quart of warm saline solution with a dose of LA200 mixed in, or a uterine bolus. I use a kid feeding tube with a 60cc syringe attached. Insert the feeding tube in about 8-10” and hold the syringe with the plunger out about 6-7” above the does tail. Gently pour in the solution and it will dribble out. If you’re adding the LA200 do it at the last bit of warm water so it stays in the uterus.
It will feel good to her so she shouldn’t squirm too much.
I hope she feels better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
You can use A quart of warm saline solution with a dose of LA200 mixed in, or a uterine bolus. I use a kid feeding tube with a 60cc syringe attached. Insert the feeding tube in about 8-10" and hold the syringe with the plunger out about 6-7" above the does tail. Gently pour in the solution and it will dribble out. If you're adding the LA200 do it at the last bit of warm water so it stays in the uterus.
It will feel good to her so she shouldn't squirm too much.
I hope she feels better.
Thank you! Super helpful. I will definitely try it with the uterine bolus. Vet did not want me to give antibiotics yet as it could prolong release of placenta tissue which is the opposite of what we want. She said if she starts showing signs of infection then definitely do antibiotics but wait for now.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Thank you! Super helpful. I will definitely try it with the uterine bolus. Vet did not want me to give antibiotics yet as it could prolong release of placenta tissue which is the opposite of what we want. She said if she starts showing signs of infection then definitely do antibiotics but wait for now.
I'm glad it helped. Just dissolve the bolus in a small amount of water and use it at the end so she gets the benefits of it.
I found a grain or other nibble distraction helpful but if you have a restraint you can do it without much help.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Did the lavage and I think she definitely enjoyed it since she didn't move at all. It seems to be working. She passed the stuff that was hanging out and is now having a lot more discharge.
That's fantastic! I'm so glad it helped. You can do it again if needed but hopefully you won't have to.

361 - 380 of 443 Posts