The Goat Spot Forum banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,826 Posts
Babies are doing great but looks like Magic retained part of the placenta and now has a uterine infection. 105.5 temp las night. She got banamine, excenel, and I flushed her uterus. She seems to be feeling a little better this morning.
Oh no! Hope shes okay!!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,743 Posts
I do hope her fever breaks, and she fully.recovers! Youre Doing Great! Keep up.the GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
She's not doing great. Fever spiked back up to 105.6. I was able to get it down to 104 with banamine. She has diarrhea so will do a fecal on her tomorrow. Vet is going to place an IV catheter tomorrow so I can administer fluids via that. She has a snotty nose today too.

I think part of the issue is that my vet told me to give the cattle dose of Excenel which is 1cc per 100 lbs. But everything I've read online says to give 6 cc per 100 lbs. So I upped that today. I'm hoping it starts to kick in soon. She is eating more and drinking this evening. Babies aren't getting quite enough milk so I am supplementing them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Update on Magic

It has been a really tough few days. She laid on one of her babies and killed him. I had been out there like 10 minutes before hand and everyone was fine. Went back out to give her some meds and found him under her. I attempted CPR for about 10 minutes with no luck. Absolutely heartbreaking. I penned the other two babies up and they are now bottle babies. They are next to her so that she has company.

I really thought I was going to lose her that same night because it looked like she was giving up. So, I basically threw everything I could think of at her. She had stopped eating and looked absolutely terrible. Diarrhea probably from coccidiosis so I started treatment for that. I really thought she would be gone at my 3 am check that night. But somehow she is still hanging on. I gave her some oak tree and blackberry bush trimmings which she finally munched on.

I gave her two bags of fluid SQ yesterday. Wanted to do it IV but she was pretty dehydrated and I couldn't get a vein. After that she wanted to get up and walk so I let her out of the trailer and into the front yard. She ate some weeds here and there. A friend brought over a bale of alfalfa and some olive tree clippings. She is now eating both! And finally drinking again. Her poop is starting to firm up as well. I have her on Excenel daily. Today is day 5 of that. Her temp has still been slightly high so I gave her banamine last night but today it is better. She's definitely not out of the woods yet but doing a little better! I'm going to see if I can hit a vein today for more fluids.

We are also on quarantine now since my parents tested positive for Covid and they watch my kids. They are pretty sick so I have been taking care of them as well. My husband and I are fully vaccinated but we are feeling symptoms as well, though not as severe.

Human body Working animal Natural material Fawn Terrestrial animal
Fence Mammal Mesh Fawn Pet supply

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,743 Posts
Ohh my goodness . Im sorry you are going through this. Im so sorry, you lost 1 buckling. Magic does look rough, but good for all shes been through. The kids look good.
Yes unfortunately being vacinated does not keep you from getting the virus. I do hope your family gets well soon. Grab some rest when & where you can.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
704 Posts
Very sorry to hear you had/having a really rough week!! Sending prays your way!! Hope everyone to gets better soon!! 🙏🙏

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Tire Wheel Sky Vertebrate Dog

I'm crying tears of joy right now. I decided to let the babies out to play this morning. Two minutes later I hear footsteps and see Magic coming out from the trailer to look for them. This is the first time she's attempted to nurse them in days. She was also chewing her cud this morning. Both are great signs!😭❤

101 - 120 of 128 Posts