Fallen leaves

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    May be a really dumb question , but do you guys let your goats eat the fallen leaves this time of year ? I'm assuming yes, but as I was walking around my back yard (not the pasture) there are so many and I'm wondering if they'd enjoy munching them up for me.

The leaves are from a silver maple, in case your wondering

friesian49 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Mine love them. Yes, they are eating them from the ground, but not much I can do about it. They sniff every leaf before deciding if it’s a good one. ;)

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

About 2/3rds of my pasture is under some very tall trees, yellow maple, oak, poplar. My does come home looking fat and happy after being down in the trees all day. They do pick and choose what leaves are "gross" and what leaves are delicious. I'll see them pick on up, just to spit it out even though I would not have been able to distinguish why that leaf was determined gross. (doh)They probably wouldn't completely clear the leaves, but I'm sure they would enjoy it as long as they were used to eating that kind of leaf already.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My goats eat leaves. But they do pick and choose which ones they want to eat.

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Unless you have cherry or another pitted fruit tree, I wouldn't worry too much. Mine are really seeking them out this time of year. And they can't wait for the halloween pumpkins!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Mine love leaves! And especially acorns! Always acorns... not sure what's so great about them

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Mine eat leaves, small fallen limbs, and anything that blows across.the pasture. They really do a nice.job keeping it eaten up. I think.any tree except foreign/exotic trees are ok for them to eat.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I am still confused about the cherry tree. Cherry trees that produce the cherry fruit (little red thing they put in pies) are bad for goats, right? What about trees in the woods called "cherry". They have the pretty reddish brown wood. Are those the same as the cherry fruit trees? (I know, sounds dumb, but I have always wondered!) Our woods (and goat fenced area) are full of the cherry wood trees.
    We have no "fruit" trees near the goats or the barn. Wild apples, but they are on the other side of the pond.

10. AimeesGoats

AimeesGoats New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    United States
    Every so often, we will cut down and trim our weeping willow trees and let the goats munch and eat all of the leaves. They LOVE them! :inlove:

11. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Mine LOVE leaves. We have a lot of tallow trees that are apparently a favorite of goats. My kids call the fallen dried leaves "chips" for goat snacks. They eat them like I eat potato chips!

12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I have wild cherry around me and the deal with cherry (wild or not and any fruit family tree) is it's only toxic when wilted. I have a few black cherry trees in one of my pastures and it's never been a problem, but I make sure after storms that they haven't dropped any limbs that have leaves on them.

13. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I've been leaving the girls out to help "clean" up the leaves so I don't have to rake and suck more than I have to this weekend. They really love oak leaves, but also enjoy the walnut leaves and I think they are chestnut or butternuts, as well as some maple.

They are so spoiled and they have trained me so well that I go around finding the good ones for them and one girl will stay right beside me, waiting to snatch them out of my hand!

14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Here the leaves get to stay on the grass for fertilizer, but the goats get to come out and pick the ones they want too.
    And you’re right, whatever YOU have in your hand must be better!

15. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    If I remember correctly, cherry wood, leaves, and pits contain cyanide. Pretty sure it’s a very small amount, but I think a goat could easily eat enough to poison itself.

16. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Yep! Ours love them. Chips magically falling from the sky!

MadHouse, YouGoatMe and Feira426 like this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I learned in a short time that goat brains are wired lime this,
    "Oooh look mom is awake. Look she has the bowl in her hands, it must be nomnom. Oh no look she put the bowl down. Oh wait we are going to pasture. Leaves look there are leaves.... crunch crunch crunch crunch..... wait mom is leaving. Maaaa maaaa maaa ooooh leaves leaves more leaves...."

Feira426, 21goaties and MadHouse like this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California