The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

So yesterday my 3 week old bottle baby was wondering around my garden under my supervision and she was looking around some part of the garden, so I decided to turn the coffee on.

I had only been gone about 30 seconds and when I got back my goat had just jumped into my pool. I got her out and dried her.

Would teaching a goat to swim be a good idea? I wouldn't want her to fall in the pool when no one is around!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It's not just about knowing how to swim (most goats can do it naturally even if they don't like it). It's also about her being able to get out of the pool without help. Even if she could scramble out on her own she would be susceptible to pneumonia from inhaling water and being cold. Goats aren't aquatic mammals by any stretch of the imagination. Either pen her in another enclosure or figure out a way block off the pool. A baby this young is too little to be left unattended near deep water even if she can swim.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes, I had a friend who's dog was a great swimmer, loved to swim, but when he got into the pool and couldn't get out, and no one found him in time, he drowned anyway. Best to not allow her unsupervised access.

Just curious, what was she doing when you found her? Was she swimming?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I had a friend who's dog was a great swimmer, loved to swim, but when he got into the pool and couldn't get out, and no one found him in time, he drowned anyway. Best to not allow her unsupervised access.

Just curious, what was she doing when you found her? Was she swimming?
My gardener was trying to pull her out with his hands. She fell close to the edge of the pool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts