False heat? Common?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SandStoneStable Farm, Jan 7, 2011.

1. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    So on December 20 & 21st both my girls were bred. Their next heat would be 1/9 & 1/10 ish.
    Today my "bucky" wether is blubbering all over the one who would come into heat on Monday. She's flagging and peeing for him. I can't really see if she has any other signs at night. :sigh:
    He was also attempting to mount the one who would go into heat on 1/10, she's not giving him as much flagging or interest. But she's the one I was pretty sure didn't set.
    :angry:
    1. Is this normal?
    2. How common is a false heat?
    3. Is 30 days the earlies you can draw blood?
    4. Your thoughts?

:GAAH: I live an hour from the bucks. That means I can't get them there until next heat... 20 more days from this weekend :(
    This is so upsetting.
    Thanks,
    Caryn

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It really depends on the doe, sometimes the beginning of a pregnancy will alter hormones to the point that it confuses them...buck and doe. I've never had an issue (yet) with a doe not settling when I have her bred but I have noticed that during the time that they would normally come back into heat that they urinate often and have a discharge....they'll even act bucky towards other does.
    Actually...I have 2 does now that are preggy and the one that isn't due til 2/23 was acting bucky towards the one due 2/15.

I hope that it is just the changes in hormones and that they are settled for you.

3. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Okay, so maybe they're just hormonal and confused :scratch:
    (umm I guess I've had those days myself) :p

Except for that one event, it seems they start acting bucky then seem like they give up. Today and tomorrow would be @ standing heat day.
    The girls are flagging occasionally, but normally they (the boys) would be chasing everyone around for a few days.

No "discharge" on anyone yet...
    *fingers crossed*

Thanks,
    Caryn

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I bought a bred doe this year that was like that she even had discharge so I went to the vet and had an ultrasound and he said she was bred so now we just wait till Feb 14th to find out.

5. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    :sigh:
    I'm pretty sure Daisy is in heat today... brat!
    flag fiesta, discharge and bright pink rear-end.

I guess we'll try again on the 30th :GAAH:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  7. SandStoneStable Farm

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I know you do Stacey :(

I ran her over to the Eastern shore, and the buck I ran her with previously wasn't interested. I thought I was looking silly for driving over an hour to "see" but we walked her past Fu Manchu and he went crazy!! :hi5:
    So, we put her with him and she was actually standing for him, then didn't want to come home with me :p

Hopefully this visit was in time and this one will stick *fingeres crossed* for another 20 days... :pray:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goodness...I hope this was "the one"...Keep us updated as far as wether or not you'll have June babies :wink:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  10. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    fingers crossed here too....good luck :pray:

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'm in the same boat. I think Bunny is bred, but then again I am not sure. Al followed her until it seemed she finally relented. He mounted her good, but I couldn't see if any connection was made because another goat was in the way. But after he got off, she stood funny for a little while. Then Al went and chased is tail for a bit. Not sure what all that was about.

12. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have my fingeres crossed for you too! Best of luck and lots of doeling vibes headed your way. :wink:

Tracy