False labor or heat...?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by farmerA, Sep 29, 2020.

1. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    This whole year has been complete goat fiasco for me which is only my second year owning Nigerian Dwarfs. I bred one doe who had a positive pregnancy test and then she either had a cloudburst according to a vet via phone, or was never pregnant. I didn't breed another doe and one day realize she was getting absolutely enormous. You know when you see them everyday, they don't change that much? Yeah. She went from tiny to large. I never got a blood pregnancy test but have done three urine pregnancy test, all have been positive. Because I didn't intentionally breed her I'm totally unsure of due date but based on her last recorded heat it should have been anytime between last Friday and Sunday. There was a shared fence line with 2 bucklings for awhile so not far fetched to think she's pregnant. Friday morning she starts hollering, having discharge (I got a photo of it when it started getting lighter which I'll attach), had really mushy loose ligaments, was having some random and irregular contractions, was licking me half to death, nesting -- everything to indicate she was in labor except her udder was still pretty small. I bought her in March and my breeder friend told me that she didn't bag up last time (as a ff) until about an hour before she went into labor so not to use that as an indicator.

I sat with her all day and most of the night on Friday and by Saturday morning, the contractions had stopped, nesting and pawing had stopped yeah, everything except discharge. She still has discharge 4 days later though much lighter. She now just acts like all is well and she's not in labor. This would only be my third time kidding because I didn't breed my previous goats, and as you know, everyone is totally different. Now I'm starting to second-guess the urine pregnancy tests and my gut. I did test one of my 7 month old doelings and it was negative so I know the tests aren't always wrong -- they claim to be 97% accurate and I've always been spot on for me at least up until now maybe.

Have you ever had a doe start and then stop pre-labor? There was no pushing and she's absolutely comfortable and healthy and fine now, but nothing. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is a case of false labor or heat? It doesn't make sense to me since she hasn't had a heat since May 5th and I'm probably just looking for a little reassurance because I have goat kidding PTSD (my favorite goat in the world died in February when a vet made fun of me when I said the 4th baby was stuck, refused to come convincing me that she was just struggling with the placenta and 5 days later I pulled the fourth dead baby out of her and she died four days later with a 5th still in her that we didn't know about).

Anyway, I would love any feedback if anyone has any. Having only had two other experiences I'm super second-guessing myself.

This first picture is Lily in April. Skinny and fit.

Screenshot_20200903-135214_Gallery.jpg

This is Lily on Friday.

20200925_150536.jpg
    20200928_180148.jpg

And this was her discharge. It was actually heavier and whiter before this but she kept cleaning herself up and I didn't think to take a picture earlier on presuming she was just in labor. No odor or anything.

20200925_114730.jpg

These girls are so good at confusing me, lol.

Oh, I should add, the reason I'm second-guessing myself is because she would wag her tail a bit. Not like she was flagging and only when she had copious amounts of discharge but none of my other girls have ever done that except when in heat. We have two young bucks on the other side of the garden maybe 200 feet away and I made a mental note of how silent they were that day. I had a doeling in heat a few days before and they were maniacs and another doe in heat over the weekend and again, they were screaming for her. I'm probably answering my own question but do you think she's pregnant? Have you ever had a doe have a false labor?

Lastly, her udder is still a pretty small maybe softball sized but a little squishy. I only dried her up two months ago though after her first positive pregnancy test and both of my other toes had huge udders when they went into labor. I can get a new pic. I haven't wanted to feel her too much to potentially stimulate lactation but haven't checked it today.

I feel dumb for asking but it's making me crazy.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    One thing I forgot to mention is that her ligaments were very loose and almost gone on Friday but now they're back as of yesterday.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is she open?
    Have you washed up, put on a new surgical glove and gently go in to feel, if you can get your fingers through(she is opened and no wall there)? Or if she is closed and you hit a wall?
    Be gentle and wit 2 fingers check her.

That discharge is an indication of possible kidding.
    The texture is not usually associated with heat, especially if you say there was more?

She is out there on her right side.

Udders can indicate when they are close, but there are a few who might wait or not fill until after kidding.

It could be a cloud burst type.

Have an ultrasound done, that will let you know if she has anything in there.

MadHouse and farmerA like this.
  4. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    Because things stopped and she's acting normal, I didn't even think to check if she's open. Great idea. I will do that after she finishes eating here shortly.

Here she is now with very little discharge and a pretty small udder. I don't have much experience in the udder development department because my first two girls backed up really early on and then one died and I sold the other a month postpartum. I don't know how small they get after they're dried up to even know if this looks near kidding, etc.
    20200929_111349.jpg

Oh man, a cloudburst would sure be a disappointment. My other doe either just had a cloudburst or false pregnancy. I've read that that can be associated with deficiencies but all my goats get free choice minerals, monthly replamin gel and copper bolus between every four to six months depending upon goat so I can't really see that being an issue.

Unfortunately I have talked to every veterinarian within an hour-and-a-half radius and the only one that makes Farm calls or sees ghosts is the one that laughed at me and told me my goat definitely didn't have a fourth kid when she had five. I don't really trust him. A goat ultrasound is on my super wishlist!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  5. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    She's not open.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK, so, leave her be, if she is closed.
    Her behavior may just be she was uncomfortable.

I would get an ultrasound to check if anything is in there for peace of mind.

Udder drying up, will be nothing in there when they are dry.
    It will just be hanging skin and teats.

She does have milk forming there.
    Is she a first timer?

7. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    Thank you! I was unsure on udder so that part was confusing me.

No, this will be her second time and her udder is about a softball in size. I'm starting to think that she is pregnant but 3 weeks later than I had thought meaning she's about 2 weeks out. I was a first-time buckling mama and allowed them to share a fence line until the boys were about 4 months old. Oops! Lesson learned. Thankfully she's the only one that was "gotten" as all of the other girls have been having regular heat cycles.

I so wish I could get an ultrasound for her. I don't drive and no veterinarians within an hour and a half radius of where we live treat goats or do farm calls except one that I had a very bad experience with (resulting in my favorite doe's death). I found a farther vet that that could come in a week and a half but it would be $400 just for her to show up here due to distance and then another $125 for the ultrasound so not really in my budget, unfortunately.

For now I'm just keeping a very close eye on her which isn't atypical -- since I don't drive and we live practically in the middle of nowhere, all my time is spent at home in the garden or with the goats and chickens etc so that's easy.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You could buy your own ultra sound machine. ;)
    But if you can't, you just have to wait it out and see.

Doe's normally begin udder development around 1 to 1 1/2 months prior to kidding.
    Do you remember when she began her udder fill?

9. farmerA

farmerA Active Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Oregon
    She'll probably have three or four rounds of kids before I can afford an ultrasound machine for my herd, tbh. It's definitely on the wishlist.

The first time she kidded she bagged up an hour before she went into labor. This time she started bagging up about two weeks ago but it seems like just a little and then it stopped enlarging much. Based upon heats, she's overdue but if it was a quiet heat that I missed her new due date would be the 16th. Silly goats.

I'm hand breeding from now on so there's no wondering and there's no longer a shared fence line to potentiality result in unplanned pregnancies. Babies are super exciting anyway but this time it'll be fun to figure out who sired them. I've never had such a mystery, lol.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California