False pregnancy

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by RPC, Nov 11, 2009.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Is it possible for a goat to have a false pregnancy? I know dogs have them because mine has had 2 but i didnt know if goats could. I have a doe that I think is a nubian boer cross or maybe saanan boer (since she is mostly white) and she got an udder maybe 8 or 10 weeks ago and nothing. I put up pictures of her under the goat management section and everyone said they didnt think she looked prego acording to the pooch test. Luckly her due date is any where from August 3rd to December 22nd so I have a while to wait and see. I really dont get these goats.

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Sorry I posted twice bc I didnt see the first one and thought I deleted it.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, it is possible for goats to have a false pregnancy. It is sometimes referrred to as a "cloudburst" pregnancy as when they go thru the motions of labor and delivery, they give birth to a sac of water with no fetus.

Have you tried to feel for kids? At this late in her pregnancy with a due date no later than December 22, you will be able to feel kids moving.

A palm in front of her udder and one pushing in low on her right side will give the best results to feeling those kicks.

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well I will try but she isnt very friendly since i moved about 6 weeks ago. She acts like she doesnt even know me for about the first 5 minutes I get in the pen then she will only let me touch her head and shoulders then she runs.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A spooky doe will definately make feeling for kids a hard task, do you have a head gate that she can be put into with a dish of food? That would make it easier.

6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Ok well i tried to feel for kids and their stomachs are really hard so I really couldnt push to feel anything. But since I posted this question twice if you look unter the title can goats have a false pregnancy you can see pictures.