The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe that was bred on December 15th 2012. She was due the 15th of may. Now she will act like she is having contractions every night around 12:00 which I find weird. So what should I think? She's making milk and is swollen in the vulva but was the first bred and now she is going to be my last one too kid.:confused:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
How long has she been doing it? Any chance she was bred later?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been going on for about three nights. But even if she just lays down in the day, scratches her foot, scratches her head, licks her udder anything, she will moan like shes dying!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Is she fat? Like real pregnant fat? I don't think it is a false pregnancy if she is having contractions.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Is she dilated? I would worry that she is trying to give birth but something is wrong... maybe a dead kid? I'd check asap

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If she is truly have contractions and has been for three.days something it wrong. Any discharge?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are pictures from yesterday.

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
She sure looks pregnant to me. Our Boer doe had contractions a few times in her last week of pregnancy. Could just be the doe's code, or it could be a problem like Dani said. But if she had a dead kid for 3 days already, wouldn't it be harming her more than this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She gets right out and eats on the hill and eats grain like a hog! But yet she does her groaning noises at night!

·
14,760 Posts
What about her tail ligaments, have you checked them? Have you tried to feel for kid movement? Press gently all around her right side, and see if you can feel a baby. Sometimes late in pregnancy you can feel body parts - hooves, etc.

Are you positive of the due date? Was she turned out with the buck for a while after that? She could possibly have come back in heat again without you knowing it and he might have bred her a week later, etc.
We had a doe kid a month ago that was in heat, went out, then came back in heat again about 5 days later.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See I'm not sure. Her tail ligaments will be gone one moment and back the next. And we watched him breeding her but idk if it stuck that day or not so he might have got her on a later date.

·
14,760 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think on a non bred doe that the ligaments would come/go. That happens with bred does closer to kidding. Even does with low ligaments. Every non bred doe I've ever felt had firm ligaments, again even if they were low, they were still there.

To me she looks pregnant. Do you have a pic of her udder? Definitely try feeling around for baby on her right side, if she's close and has more than 1 you might be able to feel something :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Get a good, clear rear end picture. I agree she does look bred and I don't think the ligs come and go like that. Almost sounds like she getting ready for babies. Think braxton Hicks contractions in people.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She had her babies today. A whopping 13 pound baby boy and a 5 pound girl! I'm one very happy daddy tonight.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Yay! Be sure to post some pictures :) Wow, that boy must have been getting most of the goodies inside his momma.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts