The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I've seen so many people on threads here asking about FAMACHA scores, what it is, what to look for. While FAMACHA score cards are great, there's still nothing like personal experience and good old practice makes perfect when it comes to scoring. I'd love to compare and contrast with anyone else's FAMACHA photos, and I invite anyone to post their goats' scores if you want the help of someone familiar with it on the forum.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Doing famacha does indeed take practice. I teach my kids to do it so they can help me keep track of how they goats are doing. We always say you want to see a deep pink to red, but that can mean so many shades to different folks. It's Important to remember to do a quick check..the longer the membranes are exposed the deeper the color giving a false read. Here is Emmy picture I took. I call that a 1 (thumbup)Most my goats are between a 1 and 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing famacha does indeed take practice. I teach my kids to do it so they can help me keep track of how they goats are doing. We always say you want to see a deep pink to red, but that can mean so many shades to different folks. It's Important to remember to do a quick check..the longer the membranes are exposed the deeper the color giving a false read. Here is Emmy picture I took. I call that a 1 (thumbup)Most my goats are between a 1 and 2.
Thanks for sharing! We do quick checks anyway because I just sneak up and check without restraining them; it's a very short period of time before they pull away, lol!

It's hard to really get a DEEP red or pink, I don't really trust that color I see on FAMACHA cards as it isn't a natural color, it is made to mimic it as closely as possible. I find the color is fairly subjective based on the goat. For instance, in personal experience I have found that light colored goats for some reason have slightly lighter eyelids even at their best. So a 1 on one goat's scale is a 2 on the other. I just use my intuition and trust that you can tell fairly easily when a goat is not at their best color.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Knowing each goats normal " good" color is important. The goat pic I posted is a solid white Saanen doe. Mine get checked any time I have my hands on them lol.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, Thx for the article, I read through it! So odd I feel like we have such similar views on things! For instance, your "tummy tamer" is almost exactly what I call my "tummy trouble paste." The herbal views as well, only thing I haven't quite got on you is essential oils, but I am starting to learn! I also practice homeopathy with our herd and home, it is a lifesaver.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is how I check mine, I try to just pulll down the eyelid. I've also seen people check how @happybleats does, any pros and cons to either method or is it just personal preference? Do you just push in the eyelid and pull down @happybleats ?
I don't like the pushing, but sometimes just pulling the bottom lid doesn't expose enough... so I use my two thumps and open both the bottom and the top and squeeze them together slightly. I used one finger here, due to the fact I was taking a photo! But I do try to check both the upper and the lower lid.

Honestly though, either way is good. It's pretty easy to tell either way if a goat has pale eyelids.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't like the pushing, but sometimes just pulling the bottom lid doesn't expose enough... so I use my two thumps and open both the bottom and the top and squeeze them together slightly. I used one finger here, due to the fact I was taking a photo! But I do try to check both the upper and the lower lid.

Honestly though, either way is good. It's pretty easy to tell either way if a goat has pale eyelids.
That makes sense with how you check both upper and lower kids.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
From everything I have read and learned, you really need that inner most meaty membrane for an accurate reading. I put my thumb of the brow bone and with gentle pressure I push the upper lid over the eye ball while rolling out the lower lid. My goats do not act like this is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
From everything I have read and learned, you really need that inner most meaty membrane for an accurate reading. I put my thumb of the brow bone and with gentle pressure I push the upper lid over the eye ball while rolling out the lower lid. My goats do not act like this is uncomfortable.
Mine fight me on this. I try to sneak a peak as often as I can, they are quicker than me. I will have to fine tune my methods before I could possibly get a pic.lol

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Yes, I think mine are used to it..well most of them. Mostly they hate being held still so I can look. Once you get your mo jo..its pretty fast

Reactions: cristina-sorina

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yes, I think mine are used to it..well most of them. Mostly they hate being held still so I can look. Once you get your mo jo..its pretty fast
I have no depth perception, and I don't want to poke out an eye.lol

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
:eek:ops2::heehee:

Reactions: Dwarf Dad
1 - 19 of 19 Posts