Famacha method

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Jul 10, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Do any of you use the Famacha method of parasite control? I recently received training in this method and received the chart for comparing the color of eyelids to determine need for chemical worming. It was designed to slow down the instances of resistant parasites because there are no new drugs in development and we are all going to be screwed if the parasites are allowed to become resistant to the drugs we have.
    The basic premise is that all goats have a worm load and if it isn't adversly affecting them they do not need to be wormed. This is only effective for the most serious goat parasite, the barber pole worm.
    The eyelids of all goats are checked and charted according to a scoring system and only the ones that score 4's and 5's are given chemical wormer and the others are not treated.
    Careful records are kept and it soon becomes clear which goats can't tolerate parasites and theorectically should be culled.
    It has been shown that 20% of a goat herd is responsible for 80% of the parasites.
    Love to hear any feedback from those using this method of input on those not. Thanks, Denise
  2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'd like to know about this too but I've heard that it is only useful where there are barberpole worms. The anemia cause by other worms is not severe enough to tell using the chart- that Damage to stomach and intestines can be very severe without showing white eye lids.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I can not say I use it to totally decide if I need to deworm. I do look at the eyes and see if they are not as pink as they should be ans then I do a fecal on them. I have noticed if my goats are not feeling well, they will be a little lighter. I had a doe with a fever and just not acting herself. i looked at her eyes, they were a little pale and I did a fecal on her and she was fine with that, but as I got her to drink a lot of water with electrolytes her eyes went back tot he pretty pink after her fever broke. I never gave her anything but the electrolytes and hay.
    I think the eyes tell a lot more then worm trouble.
  4. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Hi...I took the FAMACHA course too and have been using it along with fecal counts as well and it seems to be working. I was worming my goats about every 3 months...but now it has been 5 months and by checking their eyes with the chart at 2 week intervals I can see that it is time to do it again..ALTHOUGH..a couple of the goats seem to be more tolerant to the worm load and are borderline. I could probably let them go another 6 weeks or so.

One thing I found useful from the course was that goats that are well feed, ie: a little heavy, are 27% more tolerant to worms and need less worming than lean goats. This may be true as my guys are a little heavier this year and just doing better all the way around. I have kept up their protein and copper numbers. This works for me because I do not have the luxury of pasture rotation..but have to rely on daily walks for them to get needed browse. Because of this my herd is at more risk for reinfection.