·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She’s acting fine and eating well. I know we need to rotate pasture but can’t right now. We always feed up off the ground ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh my gosh, so glad you caught it. I am sure the others will have much smarter advice than me about chemical dewormers, but I will say that if this happened to me, I would copper bolus immediately as long as she hadn't had one recently. That is perfectly safe in pregnancy, won't interact with anything else you want to give her for deworming, and should reduce the parasite load at least somewhat.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my gosh, so glad you caught it. I am sure the others will have much smarter advice than me about chemical dewormers, but I will say that if this happened to me, I would copper bolus immediately as long as she hadn't had one recently. That is perfectly safe in pregnancy, won't interact with anything else you want to give her for deworming, and should reduce the parasite load at least somewhat.
Thanks for the suggestion..you're right on track.
She had a 4gr on the 4th of January. We do monthly hoof trims, selenium and checks. She was a 2 on Feb 3..this was her predelivery routine I do a month out,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If she accepts garlic, give her a few cloves of it. Also evergreen bows. Sorry, I don’t have much experience with chemical dewormers.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Hey there. I agree with copper, fecal, and b complex gel is fine. Im sure youve caught it in time. Do you have any ivermectin blue pour on de wormer? I really like the way it works. Even on our preggo girls.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there. I agree with copper, fecal, and b complex gel is fine. Im sure youve caught it in time. Do you have any ivermectin blue pour on de wormer? I really like the way it works. Even on our preggo girls.
I hope so, she's doing the preggo waddle already...I gave her the ivermectin sub q (she was not happy with the sting ) so she wouldn't bleed out. I have the pour on yes, but it's the same class that I already gave. I believe I need a white wormer to compliment the ivermectin. I just don't like valbazen.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
I wouldn’t use Valbezen.
A fecal will tell you if you treated her properly.
I would get a sample at 10 days. Then worm her again with Ivomec.

Valbezen covers many of the same worms as Ivomec but add tapes. Do you see any tape worm segments?

I agree, copper, but I would go with getting fortified vit b complex, give it SQ. Do this daily for a while.

Also give red cell 6 cc’s per 100lbs daily for 1 week then 1 x a week thereafter or until her color is borderline safe.

Keep up the good work.

Make sure she gets Alfalfa hay.

Watch her ketones levels.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't use Valbezen.
A fecal will tell you if you treated her properly.
I would get a sample at 10 days. Then worm her again with Ivomec.

Valbezen covers many of the same worms as Ivomec but add tapes. Do you see any tape worm segments?

I agree, copper, but I would go with getting fortified vit b complex, give it SQ. Do this daily for a while.

Also give red cell 6 cc's per 100lbs daily for 1 week then 1 x a week thereafter or until her color is borderline safe.

Keep up the good work.

Make sure she gets Alfalfa hay.

Watch her ketones levels.
Thanks for your help.
I didn't see any tape worm segments. I loaned my microscope to a friend for her homeschool science fair so I'm having to take a fecal to the vet. (No regrets, just bad timing :( )

She had copper on January 4th, I thought it would be too soon... should I give her a half dose (2gr) she only had 4gr. And is about 80lbs.
She's getting b complex 6cc's and redcell.

She has alfalfa pellets, Alfalfa and costal hay free choice, as well as WRS and Purina goat mineral and sheep minerals free choice along with kelp, she also gets red raspberry leaves daily.

Ketones negative but buying new strips tomorrow as I'm running low. So I'll double check.

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Giving more copper now maybe too soon. Since she just had it in January. I would continue the care you are giving and add tummy tamer with raw garlic 2 times a day as a support.

Tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger root
Ginger
Slippery elm ( can get in capsule form at pharmacy..just break them open and measure)
ACV
Molasses
All.in enough water to drench..blend in 1-2 garlic cloves

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Giving more copper now maybe too soon. Since she just had it in January. I would continue the care you are giving and add tummy tamer with raw garlic 2 times a day as a support.

Tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger root
Ginger
Slippery elm ( can get in capsule form at pharmacy..just break them open and measure)
ACV
Molasses
All.in enough water to drench..blend in 1-2 garlic cloves
Thanks, a couple of questions though...
Ginger root or ginger powder? I have both and can blend up the root. Do I skin it first?
I have a huge bag of slippery elm, I use it for other things

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Either will work. Most use powder ginger to mix easier but since you will blend in garlic a chunk of ginger root is ok too.no need to peel

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a bloody worm outbreak, I found another one with a 4 now...I’m so upset! Thank god for the monthly checks, I’ve been letting others handle the goats because of my accident,so I blame myself. Now I’m a bit more mobile..this will never happen again. UGH,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts