The Goat Spot Forum banner

FAMACHA scoring

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  WesBaum 
#1 ·
I’ve been looking into the FAMACHA scoring and was wondering people’s opinions and experiences with it. Do you need the card to successfully score them, and if so, where can I get one? I’ve watched a few videos about it, and I’ve learned the steps of push down from the top, and pull, but I haven’t really got the mucus membranes to pop into view. I tried taking a photo of me doing it. Am I looking at the right thing? Also, I don’t know if you can see through the phone, but what score do you think this is?
Finger Gesture Thumb Nail Snout

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Gesture Thumb Finger Nail Snout

See less See more
#7 ·
So we dewormed her about two weeks ago and she got a fecal about a week ago that showed she was fine then on barber pole worms. I think the photos might be misleading. Here is a photo of me checking her today in better lighting, still not great because my hand was covering it a bit. In real life, it looks a littler more pink.
Dog breed Gesture Finger Ear Carnivore
Eye Finger Gesture Thumb Whiskers
Hand Finger Gesture Ear Fawn

#9 · (Edited)
If you imagine it a bit darker, the video shows it better but I couldn’t figure out how to post it, what score are you thinking? In real life, it looks to be a 2 but it seems like online the different cards look widely different. If I use the first one below it looks like a 2 because she has pink all around her eye, but the second one I honestly don’t know.
Font Material property Automotive tire Audio equipment Screenshot
Product Font Material property Screenshot Design

#11 · (Edited)
So we got her fecal back and it didn’t show many barber pole worms, but did show a little of a certain parasite I forgot the name of. The vet said that he doesn’t ever treat them at this level but because she is so small we went ahead and dewormed her so that it’s not weighing down on her system. If she doesn’t have a lot of parasites, is there anything I should be worried about it or should be doing about her eyes? I have 80cc of Replamin gel plus and a bottle of red cell, in case we can use them.

#14 ·
To get that lower inner membrane to pop out I place my thumb on the eye brow bone and with gentle pressure slide her eye lid over the eye ball while rolling that lower lid out. Do this is good light and be quick. The longer the membrane is exposed the deep color you get giving a false score.
You can find a quality picture of the score card and print it off then laminate it. Keep in mind it's a guide, not all printers are the same so can vary on color.
When you have a concern, combine famacha with over all condition of her body weight, coat, and poop and finally confirm with fecal when possible.
I start red cell on anyone that scores a 4 or 5

#15 ·
To get that lower inner membrane to pop out I place my thumb on the eye brow bone and with gentle pressure slide her eye lid over the eye ball while rolling that lower lid out. Do this is good light and be quick. The longer the membrane is exposed the deep color you get giving a false score.
You can find a quality picture of the score card and print it off then laminate it. Keep in mind it's a guide, not all printers are the same so can vary on color.
When you have a concern, combine famacha with over all condition of her body weight, coat, and poop and finally confirm with fecal when possible.
I start red cell on anyone that scores a 4 or 5
Alright. I gave .3 cc of red cell just now. She seemed to like it!

#16 ·
Point 3? Or 3 cc? How much does she weigh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.