Farm blindness

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by happybleats, Aug 7, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Farm blindness happens when we farmers are on the job 24/7 or many hours of our day. We loose sight if things that others might catch. Like when your Mother in law comes to visit and finds all the cob webs you missed lol. We get busy in chores and that is our focus. Not the rusty nail sticking out..or the string from a feed bag blowing in the wind. I see posts at times where paper or strings, empty cans or feed bags, tools and twisted lawn chairs and the like are in their goats pen. This is not to judge any one. I find some of these same things in our goat pen at times. Wind tends to carry garbage in..or goats find somthing at the fence they pull through, kids can be careless or take things in..my solution is to have a friend or family member come walk our farm. I ask them to be honest about what they see that could be potentially dangerous. More than likely you will see more than your visitor sees. The idea is to get fresh eyes out there. Is your goat area clean, free of rusty junk, nails and hay bail netting. (Saw where a vet cut open a prized bull calf that dropped dead..he was entangled in netting. A great loss to the farmer)
    Is there tin sticking out. Feed bag string laying about.(can get twisted in the gut) How about installation foam? Yup. Read about a dead kid due to eating that stuff. Are water buckets and feeders clean?
    Ask your visitor to look at your animals..do they look healthy to them. coats glossy, not too thin or fat..butts look clean and so forth.
    Having fresh eyes can give you an advantage in keeping up. I have walked my property and took pictures of things we need to repair so I didn't forget later what was needed done. I take my 2 youngest for a walk in the back pasture..garbage bag in tow lol..they love that lol. Keeping a clean safe environment is just as important as how we care for our animals..so get out there with fresh eyes..happy hunting

Best wishes

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    One thing I noticed, looked back on some old photos of my boys when I first got them, they looked normal to me because I was with them all the time, but I just noticed they were on the skinnier side when they were 4-6 months old - interesting to go back and compare to photos you haven't seen in a while, because we become accustomed to how our goats like, be it healthy or not.

5. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Lol, my landlord lives just down the road and passes my house daily. It’s helpful to have her text that she’s bringing over water money (the well we share is on my power bill) and suddenly I can see it ALL. They have a very beautiful house and their surrounding property is always immaculate. I have three toddlers and a husband that works weird hours so I’m frequently the only one cleaning. I also have a lot more animals than they do. I know it’s gotten bad when my husband says that we need to clean the yard. It’s a good idea to have someone walk with you! I also recently had my young nieces and nephew (with supervision from their dad) feed my animals for a weekend and that opened my eyes too! “Oh yeah, be careful of this door, the hinges on the bottom are broken and the door will break off if you tweak it too much. And careful in the coop, that darn roost is too close and I hit my head regularly. Oh! And there’s a fire ant hill over there......” There’s a LOT to be done around here. I’m happy our summer has started to slow down and I can concentrate on making it look nicer again.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Wait, you are supposed to get rid of cobwebs in the house? Ha ha.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    :heehee:

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    20200319_115018.jpg It's true. We get caught up in the day to day and overlook some things. There are spots on our property that look horrible.For instance a junk pile on the other side of our goat fence. TO be blunt there are several. We have spent the last 4 years cleaning up constant junk and stuff that comes to surface when it rains as well as the initial clean up here. With my girls pen.. our vehicle died right as we were clearing out the junk to set them up. It was a rushed move to our current place which is my mother in laws property. We had moved in to help with my father in law before he passed away. To put it nicely he liked to collect a lot of "junk". So while we managed to get the majority of the big stuff gone we still have some things to the exterior of the animal pens we have not gotten around to hauling out yet. I know on some of my kids pics you see what looks like a bird cage randomly laying on the ground. It was not removable without leaving a serious tetanus hazard behind. Tree roots had grown through it and they were thick ones. We made the decision to leave the cage as there were no sharp points on it and it was fairly rounded. If we had tried to cut it out we would have likely had a very large dead tree on our hands with no clue which tree it was attached to until said tree had issues as well as sharp bits of metal poking up. MY daughter in law decided to "cut it out" with wire cutters and then stabbed her foot 3 days later on the cage. A tetanus shot later and she understands now why I said "just leave it". It may have been ugly but it was not a danger until it was cut
    Heh I also almost always seem to have a random feed bag laying around. I can think they are all picked up and there is always at least one. Perfect example of that random Feed bag below lol. The one dog Kennel in the back has plastic across the back to help block their view ( obviously it is time to replace it again lol)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I totally get that. When we bought this place the seller said, all the inventory stays..lol inventory..right...more like junk lol. It takes daily work to maintain and week ends and holidays to catch up. Its never ending.

11. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    It most definitely never ends. We have little piles here and there we are slowly working to remove but the stuff that "comes to surface"in the goat pens takes priority.We are still trying to figure out what to do with an old fiberglass boat.It's huge and now only half full of junk. It has been 4 years and yeah it is insane. Edited my last post. Specifically put one up with the bird cage behind the kid lol

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Thats very true, with anything. I heard a lady talking at a goat show this year saying that"the maggots in the barn are better this year" ..... you have maggots, what?? Its like Temple Grandin says what you live in becomes normal and you accept the normal.

14. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

:omg: I literally shuddered when I heard this.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  15. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    .. Oh my word...

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Or "We havent lost that many babies this year" :bonk: Yall are losing babies???

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    Yep, I have done this, the only physical pens (pastures are electric) we have are these ancient rusty corrals, so you learn to avoid all the sharp parts, broken parts, etc and it seems normal when you're in them every day.

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. R.Williamson

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    This year was a brutal year on me. A lot of first time moms. Lost two kids due to a mixture of first time Mommas and me not paying close enough attention.I was late for my usual rounds and one doe had twins. The first was huge ,the second tiny. The huge one had passed before I came out. Too cold and suffocated. The mom cleaned back to front instead of the opposite direction. 2nd kid .. his anus was plugged up. I mean he had one I saw him clearly poop after being born. he passed away within two days. I inspected him fully and he had a clear goo plug over his anus. 3rd kid was a freak accident with a nasty tempered Nigerian doe. This is the first year I have lost a kid aside from one last year with a birth defect and one to coyotes. Sometimes things happen. I am still kicking myself over the 3 we lost this year

happybleats and Goatzrule like this.
  20. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I know loses happen and its always terrible but if you arent trying to fix it or change it and it just becomes normal than whats the point? We are all learning and growing from our experiences.

happybleats likes this.