Farm blindness

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by happybleats, Aug 7, 2020.

1. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Very true. I have a friend who raises rabbits and she just sees it as normal to lose a chunk of her kits each litter. :( When our rabbits kit we are super particular. The does raise them and bad moms get culled. In her case... some of them are flat horrible mothers. However, they are pretty and pedigreed so she will not cull them.I mean it in the truest sense when I say cull but simply removing them from the program would help her

Goatzrule and Goataddict like this.
  2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yes!!! I usually have between 80-100 kids and I don’t think a single year went by that I haven’t lost at least a kid. But I’m the total opposite of “well it happens”. I drive myself nuts figuring out why and to keep it from happening again.
    Barn blind though my dad enjoys the goats and he comes to visit them now and then and he’s me judgmental lol so he will point everything out to me that he sees. Sometimes I have to explain the whys to him. Yes I know that panel is open, it’s so I can get to the one pen to water and no one is in that area, but it is helpful. Well then I have the too helpful sometimes like when I asked my husband to get his tractor and clean around the feeders one winter and I come out and he’s pushing my stump out. I yelled at him, he didn’t see why I would be upset about that, it’s a stump taking up grass space but it was the kids toy. And it was a good stump :( it kinda got washed out under it so the kids could go under it too and play. Oh well they still have their rocks

Goataddict, happybleats and Goatzrule like this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I do that too. Sometimes I get in a rut and feel like my herd is not improving or maybe my kids are not as good one year so I go back and look. Usually when I get back to my original herd I can finally see that the hard work really is paying off.
    But your right when we see them every day it’s hard to see that they are gaining, growing or even need a little extra.

R.Williamson and happybleats like this.
  4. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    On the opposite end of this spectrum is when you see every little thing wrong and whoever comes up is like, "It's just part of owning animals"

happybleats likes this.