The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so with this cooler weather my bucks have been feeling pretty good. That is the only thing that can some what explain what happened. I still can not imagine this ever happening but my hubby thinks he knows how it happened.

One of my bucks (my favorite one but don't tell the others) some how managed to get his hind feet stuck in between a board that they managed to knock loose. Both hind feet were wedged in between the boards and one was pretty tightly pressed. I am not sure how long he was like that so I did boost his tetanus, gave banamine and started Pen G as a precaution. It was pretty cold here last night and this morning and he was a little shocky so I treated him for shock and sat with him for a good while. I moved him to another lot so the other bucks would not push him over. He is walking but sore, nothing is broken (thank goodness). I had something close to this (with a hay string) happen with a ewe a few years ago and she healed fine. When that happened to the ewe I did 3 days of Pen G. Do you guys think I should do just a 3 day round of Pen G as a precaution or what? Do you think it is needed? I don't want to take a chance on anything happening to him as he is our Price O The Field buck. But I also truly hate giving Pen to goats if it isn't needed. I just wanted to get everyone else's feelings on this.

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts in advance.

Keep your fingers crossed for my guy if you don't mind. He is acting fine but I don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Oh wow..poor guy....Yes once you start antibiotics you should complete a full course...prayers for a full recovery!!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Poor baby! I would give probios as well in case of tummy upset. Sent a prayer for your buddy. I know how it feels, I love all my bucks, but it was my favorite (the youngest) who contracted suspected coccidia. No fun when your baby isn't right. My guy's doing great now, I hope yours follows suit. :)

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
One day my youngest son was playing on his play structure when he slipped between the last back wall board and the floor...we still dont know how he did it...he was barely hanging on by his finger tips and his chin!!!...at that time he was about 3 yrs. old...just hanging there, barely able to yell for help...my husband ran to him to help and once he got there I told him..dont get him off yet...I want to grab my camera lol...I know, mean but something you just need to have a pic of to believe lol..
(no 3 yrs olds were injured by the filming of this play yard accident) :p

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol Cathy you sound like my hubby. He normally takes pictures when things are unbelievable (like when one kitten climbed to the top of a sapling and it bend over with kitten still holding on), but he knew this was serious. He actually thought from the view he could see that the buck had broken a leg or hip. The board was still attached on one side (had been knocked loose on the other) with his right hoof under it (inbetween a well attached board) and his left hoof over the loose board (inbetween a well attached board). My hubby had to actually kick the board free to get him loose. I am so glad he was home as he had been out of town with work until a couple of days ago. I fear more damage would have occurred if I had to run back to the house to get a hammer being alone. My hubby thinks he stepped through with the right and fell (he was pointed in the direction of their hay like he had been eating). He then thinks he tried to kick free and got the second hoof stuck and worked back into a tight spot. I stood there holding him once we had got him out and up for a bit before I ran to the house for the meds. Nothing like smelling like a sweet hint of buck for a new perfume.

I did move him back to the buck lot this morning and hope the other boys go easy with him. I had him with a bred doe in my observation lot yesterday and last night so he could recover a bit but this morning he felt so good other then being a bit sore on the hind right I needed to move him. I have a few girls in a lot about maybe 100 to 150 feet away that one is coming into heat and he was talking to her. I didn't want him all worked up and running around on it. May only fear yesterday was I have an older buck that likes to rub his head on all the other bucks and I worried he would knock him over while he was still so sore.

My vet normally says to do 2 to 3 days of Pen for precaution type stuff in sheep and goats and the bottle even says 2 to 3 or one day after symptoms end. I normally do 3 days myself. Would you do 2 or 3? I always am more cautious with Pen than other people I think.

Thanks again.

Oh he stood great for his meds this morning. . . thank goodness.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Sounds likehe is on the med : ) For pen I would do at least the 3 days...Im a five day antitbiotic gal lol..but if he is well..3 should be plenty...With Pen the only thing I'm super careful with is being sure I am not in a vien, always pull back the plunger, see blodd, re adjust..no blood means good to go : )

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

Cathy, oh I am ocd about the pulling back before giving meds. That is actually why I prefer giving goat meds with someone holding them since they are wiggly little buggers.

Odd thing is I can dose and treat others animals without any concerns but when it comes to my babies I get a little more worked up about it lol 7+ years working as a vet tech you would think I would have a heart of steel but I am soft hearted lol. I have seen too many reactions to certain meds that others have not so I always fear the worse. Odd that I feel that way toward my goats and horses but I had no issue dosing the sheep when I had them.

I have decided to retain one of my last bucklings out of him until I am sure he is fit and out of any danger.

Thanks guys. Just being a worried momma over here.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so glad he is mending nicely for you :) What a freaky accident !
Definitely finish the course of antibiotics. Even if you think he doesnt need it , things can relapse and he will be able to fight it cause he had the full course of meds. Just my thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts