The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
Mine is in my sig but right now it is very slow go as its mostly for people who want to watch us go thru the rehabbing process as we turn this dump into a Sustainable farm with aquaponics & then ultimately offer free teachings, using the guest house to house people who want to live more "off the land"

·
Registered
285 Posts
http://www.facebook.com/JaLynDairyGoats?ref=ts&fref=ts heres mine..let me know stacy if this one works..I fixed it on my signature too..
I just clicked on your link JaLyn and it worked fine :D!!

This is too weird I have been on the fence about asking for facebook 'likes' here for some time. I came here today and found this thread. Now I can get off that dang fence, it was getting uncomfortable up there :p!
Thanks so much Cass for creating this thread. There's a whole lotta 'liking' goin' on from what I've seen so far :D!!
I do have a farm and my facebook page is sorta kinda about my farm but not totally. Anyway, If anyone here would like to check it out, it is in my signature below. I'm 13 likes away from having the 30 required to see all my 'stuff'.
I know I keep saying this but you guys are the most polite bunch of people I have ever met on a forum ;)!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
What is the extra "stuff"? Im only 3 likes away
I don't know gg132 but I don't think it's anything in neon :p!!

....actually I think it's called "insights", whatever that is.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just liked everyone I could find from previous three messages, and the insights are fun to look at bc you see how many of your likers viewed a post then how many others viewed (aka viral) and how many shares it got and so on! Also my mom and dad raise goats and longhorns so here's their page too it's heaven on earth ( I took their profile pic of the longhorn bull and the cover pic of the 3 calves!!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wrote all of the following and then decided that I should preface this post with a note that I'm a marketing geek -- I'm really passionate about telling stories that create awareness and drive interest. So this may be far more than anyone ever wanted to know...but I couldn't resist! ;)

The first question I'd ask if you're trying to grow your Facebook community is: what is your purpose and who is your audience? (OK, that's really two questions.) If you don't know what you're trying to achieve through your page, you're not likely to achieve it.

From personal experience, I believe that you need to use a variety of media/online environments that drive interest from different types of users that encounter you in different places...basically, I look at all of my online farm "presences" as different tools for telling a story.

I started off with a Web site and farm blog, which was originally designed just to share our adventure with friends and to give me a much-needed creative outlet. I linked new posts to my personal Facebook page (with about 250 friends), and I was surprised how quickly my readership grew beyond the folks I knew. (Use your analytics and insights! Oh, that's another whole post!) I posted regularly about life on the farm and made a point of including pictures and video. (With all of these types of online spaces, posting regularly and using visual stuff is key.)

Over time, my blog posts have tapered off in favor of the short-and-sweet Twitter or Facebook style of posting. This serves my needs better -- I'm shifting more to a business-oriented, marketing-focused use of my online presences, rather than the personal "creative outlet" purpose.

I maintain a total of four Facebook pages: my personal page; one for our farm; one for our viral video star, Buttermilk (she's far more popular than I am, with almost 10K friends!); and one for our community farmers' market. The trick with all but my personal page is to weave connections among them...and with other Facebook folks.

As I said earlier, to weave these connections effectively, you need to know your purpose and audience -- whether you're looking for a local audience (say, to sell wethers or cheese), making connections with other goat lovers, etc. Just putting up a page without a clear sense of purpose and audience isn't likely to be hugely successful.

For example, Buttermilk's page has huge viewership, but the vast majority of her friends aren't local...so I don't use it as a tool to market our farm (well, I do some, but it's limited). Instead, I'm interested in building the Buttermilk brand and keeping that audience engaged in a variety of ways. Through Buttermilk, we do a lot of fundraising and public awareness -- we're using the page to educate people about goats, to support causes of importance to us, and to make people smile.

The farm page, however, is much more locally-focused...I use it to get folks out to the farm for events, into our town market, to share news about new babies (that hopefully someone locally will want to buy), etc. I cross-post with the community market page -- not necessarily about us, but about things that drive market interest and highlight our products (and those of other producers). For example, when garlic scapes were in season and one of our fellow market vendors had them coming out of their ears, I posted a recipe for scape and goat cheese pasta. Useful information -- not noise.

Based on those goals and audiences, find Facebook "friends" and cross-promote yourself like crazy, but without creating that "noise". In order to do that, you have to be a part of the partner's story. We've partnered with both local and national organizations -- "Buttermilk" helps to raise funds for Farm Sanctuary and, in turn, we get some cross-promotion and exposure support from them, allowing us to connect to their 92K friends. We work with a local animal rescue (they do fundraisers at our open houses) -- they post about their participation at our events on their Facebook page, which has a lot of local friends that aren't connected to our page. This has really helped to increase awareness of our farm (which is only two years old) and drive new "likes". THOSE likes are like gold, because it's a captive audience for marketing in the future -- cheese, goats, our holiday farm store, etc. I also use the local TV stations' pages, the Bangor Daily News, etc. to get word out about the farm and events here...it works pretty well!

You might also want to give Facebook advertising a try. On Facebook, you can target specific demographics (e.g., women in the 04730 zip code who like stuff related to animals) and place the ad just on those users' pages. You can set a daily threshold in terms of your cost, so there's limited risk. We were able to increase our page likes this way when we first got started -- I haven't had to do so much explicit advertising since I started doing the connection stuff described here.

I also recommend creating a YouTube channel and posting videos of the goats, with links in your Facebook page, Twitter posts (I don't tweet, but encourage others to!), blog posts, and again, cross-promoted in appropriate places. Our video of a baby goat knocking over her playmates went viral, and it's been featured in more places that I can count. Believe me, that was a once-in-a-lifetime stroke of luck...but you can drive a fair amount of traffic to your Facebook page (or whatever online presence you choose) from videos that get a much more modest number of hits. (And I'd be happy to share insights on the whole viral video experience and what I learned from that if anyone is interested.)

Getting to "scale" in the online world is a challenge -- but once you reach a tipping point in terms of viewership, a sort of "virality" kicks in that becomes somewhat self-sustaining. And that tipping point isn't a very high bar in a lot of cases.

Phew! Hopefully I didn't overwhelm anyone who is interested in this topic...we're a very small farm with limited resources for marketing, so we've had to figure out ways to get the word out in a cost-effective way. And I clearly love to think (and talk!) about this stuff -- happy to chat privately about anything here or other farm marketing issues!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts