Farm life: Tips and tricks!

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, May 11, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I wanted to post a thread on farm "hacks" that make farm life easier or cheaper! (or both!) Here are a few of mine

• Save your empty spay bottles! I refill them and use them for everything! If you refill it with bleach water, be sure it used to have bleach in it, because the sprayer stops working
    • Keep some dish soap in your barn! It can be used for almost everything! Cleaning feed bowls, water troughs, scrubbing the milk stand, EVERYTHING!!! I got a huge 1 gallon thing of soap from HEB about a year ago, and still have over half of it!
    • Keep a toilet brush out in the barn yard! Obviously, get a new one, not one that has been used in the toilet, but you can get 99 cent ones at the dollar store. i scrub the water troughs every time i dump them with it because it gets that nasty algae in it. It is awesome!
    • If you mix your feed in a bucket the night before, cover the bucket with a shower cap! Im serious! It keeps nasty bugs out all night untill you are ready to use it! When i start showing, i plan on using this trick too :)
    • I got these little labels from staples for my soap making https://www.avery.com/blank/labels/...zJIqJnLxLXYVPNhzx4xoCThMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds , but i have been labeling everything with them! They come in all different shapes and sizes! You can put your design on them at avery.com/print It is super easy!
    I cant wait to see yalls farm hacks! Happy farming!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Love this, thank you for the tips. :)

If anyone has any more, we would love to hear them. ;)

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Great tips! (thumbup)
    I will add a question or two.
    What do you use baling twine for, other than tying things and making ropes?
    What can you do with empty feed bags? The grain farmer can’t reuse them. They are mostly the woven plastic kind. I was going to start using them as garbage bags, since we have so many now.

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Here are a few more:
    If your milk room is a bit too far from your goat shed to run and get more feed while your goat is locked in the stand, get some flour tubs, like this
    [​IMG]
    and put your feed in those, and store them on your shelf in the milk room! You can get them cheap at garage sales, which brings me to my next tip:

Garage sales are your best friend! When they open up again, GO TO SOME!! I got my a whole set of those bins, a set of measuring cups for out in the barn, a drying rack that i dry their bowls on when they get washed, and a chair to sit on while milking for 15$!!! Plus a desk for my office for 10$, but that isnt for the farm lol!

Reuse any kind of tupaware-like packaging you get!!
    I get salsa from the store that comes in this container: (good salsa BTW ;) )
    upload_2020-5-11_19-2-46.jpeg
    And i use those things or EVERYTHING! they hold small screws, baking soda out in the goat shed, i put supplements in them. Trust me, you can find a use for em'

I use my feed bags for garbage bags in the barn, yes. But the paper ones i like to burn, because who doesnt like bonfires every now and then :) Also if you show, bring some feed bags and twine, cut holes in the feed bags, and put the hay in them and tie them to the fence! DIY hay feeder. I dont reccommend it for all around use thougj.

Bailing twine i keep in my kidding kit incase i need to pull a kid. I should probably get a lamb puller, but i am scared that it will be too big for my nigis. I roll all of the extra in a big ball, and put it in the barn for when i need it.
    Another use for baling twine is if you forget your pocket knife and need to open a bale, then rub a peice of baling twine really fast back and forth against the one on the bale, and bam! You have an open bale of hay!

Thats all i have for now! I can wait to hear more tips!

5. MadHouse

Good tips!
    I’ll remember that one about rubbing the twine!
    Thanks!

6. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I cut the feed bags open and used them to protect the floor under furniture that I was refinishing.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    If you have chickens, or any bird that likes to roost up high, go to an antique shop (when they open back up of course) and get a ladder like this one
    upload_2020-5-11_21-43-29.jpeg
    and put it up where you would like them to roost. I put mine over 2 stall walls in the barn (parallel with the ground), because i feel like if it was sitting upright, predators would have an all you can eat buffet. It takes a little bit of training to get them to finally use it, but mine love their ladder nest! Make sure the steps are more of a circular shape rather than a square. Mine seem to like the rounded shapes better.

8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have been thinking about this one... I came up with 2 more ideas

You could wrap gifts with them! It might look pretty cool!

Do you have a sewing machine? I saw a lady a few years ago making tote bags out of feed sacks! I got one from her, because i thought it was pretty creative, and i use it as a bag to go to the grocery store, and when we go to the lake/ beach and need to pack towels or something.

Just a few ideas :)

9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I've heard empty feed bags are good to have around for kidding. They make great disposable surfaces and clean places to set kids and so forth.

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    :up: Yes! i always scoop the placenta into a feed bag and throw it out! (sometimes i will take it a few miles down the country road and throw it in the ditch for some vultures to eat it though LOL!)

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh man, that would be a great thing to tell city folk just to freak them out.:lolgoat:

12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I love the paper feed sacs. Cut them open. Lay them down in the birthing stall,put a little straw on it. After birthing..just roll the bag, straw, placenta, goo,excess used paper towels, and used gloves up. Then fold in half. Place in plastic wal mart bag. Tie it off.put in 2nd wal mart plastic bag!
    The plastic type feed bag, are great to open up and and nail up on barn walls. They cover insulation and keep the draft out. Surprisingly my goats lick them clean. But dont chew them off???
    Walmart has a small metal waste basket. It makes a perfect hay holder when your at a show, or as a temporary hay feeder in a stall.
    I cut my bleach jugs to make feed scoops out of. They have a nice handle.

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    :clever:

haha! yup!

i will have to check that out! thanks!

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Here are a few more that i came up with wile milking

If you use koppertox, you know that stuff stains everything it touches! I had a plastic table out in the barn, and the bottle got knocked over and it spilled EVERYWHERE!! not to worry! Get some Goo Gone!
    [​IMG]
    Just pour some on the stain, let it soak for about a minuite, and scrub it! Koppertox comes right off! It also got pen ink that exploded in the dryer off of clothes, when soaked for 24 hours!

If you forget everything unlesss you write it down right away like me, you are going to need a dry erase board in the barn! It is so helpful! I write down weights, dosages that were given, etc. untill i can get inside and write it in my records, but it helps me remember!
    Last year, we went to Arizona for my daughters wedding and had friends taking care of the animals, and i wrote everything down on the dry erase board and it made it super easy for her! I love my dry erase board!

15. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I always use old feed bags as trash bags. They never rip and work great! :great:

Edit: The Purina/Dumor plastic feed bags work best. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  16. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Fly strips are great in the barn..but the sticky gets on you its a pain..tip; use a drop of cooking oil to rub together over the sticky part...woolah. no more sticky.

Plastic coffee cans make a perfect scoops

Feed bags: paper kind
    Line flower pots
    Use in gardens for weed control
    garbage bag
    kidding time
    mulch
    Roll the tops down poke a few drainage holes.fill with soil and plant plants ( can do the same with plastic.
    Can use to hold chicken,/ rabbit and other garden poop.
    Use to collect pecans and other nuts..(excluding family members)
    Plastic feed bags;
    Sew a tote bag
    Use to cover plants in winter
    Garbage bags
    We have a concrete floor where we milk..a floor scraper works tons better than a broom to clean chicken/goat poop.

We use old chest freezer to hold mixed feed and chaffhaye. Cleans easy!!

17. MadHouse

Great ideas!

(rofl)

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    does this work well? i have been looking for a lamb puller but i didnt find one in any of the shops. i heard they are great to keep on hand for emergencies and such. would be great if i could just use baling twine......is yours the plastic or natural(jute fibre) twine? thanks:)