Farm Name for registering kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OK, I am just learning this stuff so bear with me! Does a farm name for the purpose of registering your kids have to be completely origional? Everything I try I google to see if there is another one on the internet and everything so far has been taken somewhere! (not necessarily goat related though) Some of my ideas have been

Meadowlark Farm
    Meadow Song Farm
    Hidden Meadow Farm

I wanted to go with a Meadow theme because my favorite "thinking spot" is a small hidden meadow not far from our house.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    What goat registry are you looking at? I'm mostly familiar with ADGA and AGS.

ADGA is very strict with their herd names. I've been trying to get KW Farms registered with them for quite awhile and they said they won't because there is already one similar to that that is taken. I think you can go onto ADGA genetics and search the herd names? Not sure...haven't been on there in awhile.

AGS is more lenient and as long as your herd name isn't the same as one already taken then you are good to go.

I would email the registries you are interested in. Email them your top 5 choices and ask which ones are available...if any.

Good luck!

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Arabella is all set up to be registered with ADGA. I just have to send in her papers. She was born at another farm so I don't have to worry about a farm name until she has kids, but I've been trying to come up with ideas. thanks!

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I like Meadowlark or Hidden Meadow.Maybe you can use extra letters or symbols when you register them like Hidden*Meadow.I have yet to register ours in our farm name so I'm clueless on how it all works.Since our farm is The Garza Homestead I was going to use a different name to register but haven't came up with one yet.Good luck!

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Don't forget to check tattoo info too!! I failed to do this and now have a difficult conflict between ADGA and AGS...my farm name is fine in both registries, & all my animals are tattooed w/my ADGA tattoo, but AGS won't accept my ADGA tattoo now... ugh.... Was requested by AGS to change my ADGA tattoo to something accepted by both registries - which I can only imagine would create a complex situation w/re-tattoeing ALL my own goaties & also re-doing their ADGA papers. NOT looking forward to that!!

6. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    You might want to take into consideration the length of your herd name. ADGA only allows so many characters and that includes your herd name into the goats registered name. If your herd name takes up most of the characters you will be limited in the naming of offspring. I can't remeber if it's 30 or 35 characters for ADGA. You can email them as well to see if a name is taken. I chose one herd name with AGS and NDGA, then joined ADGA later and had to change everything! Don't forget to check the tattoo availabiltiy on all the registries you are joining. AGS and NDGA were very nice about changing ours to the ADGA tattoo.

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    wow! what a pain in the rear! Is it better to be double registered? why register with more than one registry?

8. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Different registries have different shows.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    If you are going to have to re-tatoo anyway why can't you just have 2 different tats for the different registries? (Sorry, I am a complete newbie, so that may be a stupid question!)

10. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Yes, for us it was a pain to change everything. ADGA can be a bit difficult to deal with. AGS and NDGA were great and helpful.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OH! Ok, so if I don't plan to show, but I want them to be registered then one registry is OK, or is it still better to have them double registered?

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    what is NDGA? I've not heard of that one.

13. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    It's too confusing to do 2 tattoos. And there's not that much room for tattooing. If you can get the same tattoo in all the registries you will only have to tattoo once. If the animal already has a tattoo not recognized by ADGA they will make you tattoo the tail web of the goat.

14. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
  15. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Yes, Ideally you'd like ONE herdname and ONE tattoo... but it's like babysitting multiple kids...they don't always get along! LOL!!

NDGA is Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association
    ADGA is American Dairy Goat Association
    AGS is American Goat Society

here on the west coast, we have mainly ADGA shows, although there are AGS or Dual shows in California... in Oregon & Washington we only have ADGA, so our goats here are mainly just ADGA registered. I believe that backeast has mainly AGS (and pretty much all other states too???) but others can clarify that. Being dual registered/multiple registered means that your wins count across the different registries, not just one registry. Again, others I'm sure can clarify this. :thumb:

16. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
  17. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association

18. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    do spaces count in the total numer of letters allowed in a goats registered name?

19. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I thought it was just me regarding issues with the ADGA. I am new to all of this too and it has been very frustrating dealing with them. I haven't even gotten to registering a herdname yet because I am still trying to come up with a farm name. Glad to know I am not alone though.

20. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I thought the herd name WAS the farm name??? Now I'm confused! LOL! nothing new HA!