The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how everybody picked their farm name. My wife and I are trying and cant come up with anything we agree on. We want one people will remember. Our last name is Hodge if that helps

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
We are just Salvagno Farm. That is our last name. Including your last name in your farm name helps people to remember who the people are who have the farm.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
When we raised Boar goats I wanted to name our ranch "Best little Boer house in Texas" since we live in Texas lol..But Hubby ( a baptist pastor lol) didnt think that would be appropriate lol...So when we went to dairy goats we decided on Happy Bleats Dairy Goats because our goats are happy and loud!! :D

if you have several different breeds you could be Hodge Podge Dairy (meat) goats..:p
consider where you live, mountains, valley, near the ocean, desert? Breed of goat, and other animals you raise if you dont want to just focus on the goats...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized I posted this in wrong spot. Sorry. I like LoHo Farm because it is on my grandfather property and his last name is Lowe. My wife like Got Goats.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Just keep in mind what the name will sound like when you have a bigger herd and are more well known. What is cute when first starting out may not sound so cute when you are trying to establish yourself as a quality breeder.

Good example is that I moved and have to find a new hair salon to get my hair cut. I was going through the list of names in a phone book and one of them was Kris's Country Cuts. Well, my first thought was someone who puts a bowl over your head and cuts your hair. Needless to say, her salon name didn't give me the confidence that she can cut hair well and keep up to date on everything. She may be a wonderful stylist but her salon name just wasn't working for me. I did make an appointment with someone else.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've had a couple of farm names. The first was Caledonia Hills Farm. This was when my ex and I were together, as i loved the sound of it and his family have Scottish roots (even though my farm has no real hills, haha!!). When i got divorced i dropped the name, luckily i hadn't been raising anything and had no official link to the name so it was easy to see it go. I chose another name, Braidwater, which is harder to describe why I chose it (it's about accepting that you have to 'go with the flow" in life, even when the flow is confusing and complicated)... if I ever build a huge plantation house i may still call it that just because I like the sound, hehe.

Anyway, that was what i called the farm during my single years. It wasn't much of a farm, and it was a pretty miserable time. When i got remarried I moved to my husband's house. No place for a farm in a .4 of an acre lot. :-/ After a few years of that we sold that house and came back to my farm. It was a fresh start. I was able to start my homesteading and growing gourds and crafting. From the ashes of my previous life we were reborn into a new life... and we were building a safe warm comfortable nest here for ourselves... Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, and settling into its warm safe "down" lined nest. So... PhoenixDown Farm.

And also a PhoenixDown is an item in a video game my husband and I love, lol.

·
14,615 Posts
I like Hodge Podge, if you are going to be raising more than one breed or combine it with say veggies or eggs.
Cathy, "Boer House" is way too funny but I can understand why you didn't call it that.
Ive come up with not very nice names for goats. But at least they aren't on paper.:D

We came up with Laughing Stock Boers after I had worked several years & saved $. When I quit I cashed in company stock to invest in them.
It doesn't sound very serious or professional though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
HillBilly Deluxe Goatherd Co., is our farm name. Although it's not a classy name, it's fun and that is what we are. I tell people we offer HillBilly weed whacking (rent a goat) and sheep Brazilian cuts. :D. The people that look at our Facedook page always get a kick out of the"farm funnies" that we share.

We raise Boer goats and are registered with ABGA.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I like LoHo :)

That's just........ Cozy :)
Lol mine is Tipsy T because when I was little, in the Bahamas I named everything tipsy t.
Such as tipsy t the bird.
Tipsy t the sea turtle.
So, if I made that my herd name, I didn't have to go an name every single goat tipsy t(; lol and for me it brings back relaxing memories.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Cathy, "Boer House" is way too funny but I can understand why you didn't call it that.
Ive come up with not very nice names for goats. But at least they aren't on paper.
Yah...we didnt much care for the movie either lol..but I thought it was funny too lol

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
when I read your last name is Hodge, I also thought about Hodge Podge Farm. It's cute, memorable, and doesn't limit you to ONE type of goat or vegetable or whatever you're producing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've had a couple of farm names. The first was Caledonia Hills Farm. This was when my ex and I were together, as i loved the sound of it and his family have Scottish roots (even though my farm has no real hills, haha!!). When i got divorced i dropped the name, luckily i hadn't been raising anything and had no official link to the name so it was easy to see it go. I chose another name, Braidwater, which is harder to describe why I chose it (it's about accepting that you have to 'go with the flow" in life, even when the flow is confusing and complicated)... if I ever build a huge plantation house i may still call it that just because I like the sound, hehe.

Anyway, that was what i called the farm during my single years. It wasn't much of a farm, and it was a pretty miserable time. When i got remarried I moved to my husband's house. No place for a farm in a .4 of an acre lot. :-/ After a few years of that we sold that house and came back to my farm. It was a fresh start. I was able to start my homesteading and growing gourds and crafting. From the ashes of my previous life we were reborn into a new life... and we were building a safe warm comfortable nest here for ourselves... Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, and settling into its warm safe "down" lined nest. So... PhoenixDown Farm.

And also a PhoenixDown is an item in a video game my husband and I love, lol.
I always really liked your farm name Lorna, but had never heard the story behind it, now I like it even more!

ADGA gave ne Mighty Meadows. I wanted Mellow Meadows because that is my farms name, but I am wondering if someone didn't get it set for the lifetime name or whatever. I was looking up adga records and there hasn't been a goat registered with Mellow Meadows since the 70s I think (maybe early 80s), but ADGA wouldnt let me have mellow meadows last year. I am going to call them and see if there is anyway I can though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts