The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone here has really cool setups in all the pics ive seen on other threads. :) While my setup needs some work haha. What does yalls farms look like? Or how do yall manage your feeding areas, birthing areas, shelters, milking (i don't milk but if some of yall do it would be neat to see), where do yall keep yalls medical supplies, or anything along those lines? Im going to have to fix my shelter different because little things like feeding is way too hectic haha, so im trying to find a different way to do things and where to put things. Pics? :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't think you can. As far as I know, only a mod can move a thread.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can't its fine thank you for trying to help though. :)

Sorry for the trouble...I think it will go to the bottom sooner or later so i won't post on it and maybe it will go away.

·
14,615 Posts
Most things & places here can have dual purpose. Or at least we try.
We leave pregos out with the main herd till the last minute. Most of the time they have at least one kid outside before they get brought in to have the rest.
Personally I hate putting them in kidding stall for days on end it's too much work & Im lazy. So unless I catch her with amber goo she stays out. There is shelter outside out of the wind & one of the LGDs is super at helping.
As for feeding, last year they didn't get grain during the last week or so of gestation simply because everyone had enough of a time span before kidding I could not manage properly by individual case.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well, my place is divided into 7 pens of varying sizes. My hay feeders are run of the mill horse hay feeders that have been modified to accomodate the goats shorter size. Grain/pellet feeders are steel posts that have been cut in two, reinforced, and have hooks welded on them to hang on the fence. They are placed in the pens because my sheds are not big enough to feed in. I have a fully enclosed kidding shed, but I can't use it yet because there is no electricity in it. So I use a 3 sided shed that has 3 10' wide pens lined with hog panels and gates to keep the girls and kids under the shed for kidding. It is wired so I can hang heat lamps, and I can also divide the 10' pens in two to give me 6 kidding pens. I do not put the girls in the kidding pens until they are showing signs of kidding being imminent. Confining an animal for weeks prior to delivery keeps them from exercising, and can interfere with delivery. It also tends to stress them out and kidding is not the time you want to stress pregnant animals. I do not milk, so I can't help you with that - sorry. Medications are kept in the refrigerator if necessary, or in a large cupboard on the porch if they do not need refrigeration. Kidding stuff is kept in a backpack, hoof trimming stuff is kept in a tool bag that I can carry with me, tagging stuff is kept in a diaper bag, and first aid stuff is kept in a horse grooming bag. I would get some pictures, but we are kinda in the middle of a nasty snow storm at the moment. When it clears up I will get those pics and post them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you :)

Right now i have a 3 sided shed in a 1 acre field that they are in right now. And 2 fields that are pretty much the same as this one. The gate is in the middle of one side of the fence, then the shed is down a little ways next to the fence. Im thinking about sometime in the next few months fencing from the shed to the corner so ill have an area there to separate any if i need to. Right now when i try to go feed them or let just one out, ill try to open the gate and they will push out and its horrible. Then they get into dads garden or fruit trees if i can't catch them in time and hes not exactly happy about that. Lol

They fight a lot when i feed them too, and the little ones get pushed aside and the slow eaters dont get much so im trying to find a way to feed them separately. (There's only 7) Have any of yall tried or heard of people tying them up then feeding? Some of mine fight collars and would choke themselves so i think im going to try goat halters. Do yall think that would be a waste of time if there is a better way?

Then i think i found a good mineral feeder and im going to attempt to make some so ill have that instead of just a bowl. Then im going to attempt to make a hay feeder instead of just feeding it out of a 5 gallon bucket. Lol so everything is really unorganized here and the littlest task turn out to be the hardest but im trying to get it all to work. :)

Thank you again. :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I understand exactly where you are coming from, trust me on this. Try to just go with the flow for now - it will all come together in time.

I have too many to tie up or halter break, so I have mine seperated by age. Weaning kids are in one pen, yearlings are in another, bucks in a 3rd unless they are breeding, timid adults in a 4th, and bitches in a 5th. I don't know if you have time to halter break all of them, but it would certainly solve some problems for you. If they were halter broke you could tie them at feeding time, and when you wanted/needed to take one out of the pen you could simply catch her and lead her out. First few times you could take a rattle paddle, sorting stick, or something and, if the rest tried to push past you, smack them. It doesn't have to be hard. It won't take long for them to learn not to do it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) yea it can get really hectic... 3 of the 7 are kids, one is halter broke, one should be easy to train, but the other two im not so sure about but ill try it. I was just letting 2 of the same attitude out to feed together but when they were done they would take off or either somehow another one would get through the gate and mess everything up. Im hoping the halters will work or it could go terrible and ill be here asking for more ideas haha. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts