The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. This has been the toughest few months for me dealing with health issues with my herd. Whenever I fix one goat, something happens to the other. One of my favorite goats, Babs is not doing well. Over the last few days she has dropped TONS of weight, and I have noticed massive hair loss as well over the last few weeks. I assumed she was shedding as she did the same thing last year, but today she isn't looking so good.

Stools are OK, she seems happy and alert, but please look at the photo. My entire herd has been wormed with cydectin and valbazen. She is the only one looking like this. I don't know what to do so would appreciate some advice. Also, about lice, I put permetherin powder on her so I don't think it's lice. She has been bolused also about 2 months ago, should I do it again?

Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
59,361 Posts
What about coccidia? This has been a bad year for coccidia in adults.

Have you had a fecal done during any of this?

I would try Replamin Plus and do it weekly. Follow the directions for cattle dosage. If you don't have the gun, buy the one that you can dose 5cc or 10cc with. Worth the money to get and will work for any other large tube of stuff. PBS Livestock sells it.

I would also do B Complex shots and Probios daily for a week.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get her on the probios immediately, as for coccidia, yes it has been an awful year but I can usually see other symptoms. I have been using Sulmet with great results for the other goats. I will give her a dose tonight before bed just to be safe.

It's crazy, a month ago she was so round and now she is bones. Makes me so sad!

·
Super Moderator
59,361 Posts
I would do the full 5 day treatment. I don't completely count on the "normal" signs. Especially when she is so thin.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time getting and keeping your herd healthy... Beautiful girl!! I have no sound advice but here's hoping for a complete recovery for Babs:)

·
Registered
31,106 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
If you can, have a fecal run. That will let you know if she has worms, and if so, what worms she has. What color are her eyelids? Has she been tested for Johnes?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has not been tested for Johnes, but I am going to have my vet come out if she isn't better in a few days. I will do the full 5 days on Sulmet. Babs is the sweetest doe in my herd and I will be devastated if I lose her. They all have access to loose minerals.

·
Registered
31,106 Posts
dont forget to check for anemia ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to update everybody. I think I found the source of the problem... I am so pissed off about it, but I need to use it as a learning lesson.

We were purchasing wrapped round bales of hay from people for a year because it was so easy to just push it back there with the tractor, and we didn't need to worry about covering the spares since they were wrapped. We went with somebody who delivered to our home so we didn't need to pick it up, and I think the hay was bad. I stuck my arm into the center of it and it was boiling like my compost pile, so we were informed that it wasn't properly wrapped and could be the source of a million problems for goats.

I have been in the debate forum member here in the past about feeding wrapped bales. My goats love them, but I won't be purchasing them anymore. I put them on dry, unwrapped bales for the last few days, and saw an amazing change within 48 hours of switching them. They are looking like balloons and have guts so swollen they look like they are going to pop. What I don't understand is how this hay caused Babs to lose her hair and weight.

I am confident that I will have the goats on a good path to health by Spring, there is no amount of money I won't spend to make sure I do it right. The lesson I have learned is that skimping and trying to save money on things like hay will just bite you in the ass in the end. My goats aren't just livestock, I love them more than anything and they fill my days with joy, and I just want to have a healthy, happy herd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts