Fast Help, Please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Candy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Candy

Candy New Member

My 2 1/2 yr old doe just went NUTS!! I heard this banging around outside and she was attacking my other doe and all 3 kids! Using her horns to just throw them around! :GAAH:
    I went outside to get them away from her and then tied her to a tree. I can't leave her tied without shelter. The others are back in the pen. The doe is limping on one of her hind legs, the kids don't seem hurt. :hair: As soon as I separated them she calmed right down. She has NEVER done anything even close to this before!
    Candy

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have had that happen. is there any way of separating them for a bit other then having her tied to a tree?
    I normally say let them duke it out but I will step in when there are babies involved. Did one of the them try to take her food?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    She might just be trying to set herself as the dominate one. How old is the other doe? I had to get rid of a Grand Champion wether when he was three because he was hitting my girls and i did not want him to cause a abortion.

4. Candy

Candy New Member

The other doe is her daughter, Kizzy. She is 2. There was no feed involved. She has been the dominate one since she came here as a bottle baby. She has ALWAYS been 'nasty' with Kizzy, but NEVER anything like this! I'm going to try to put some kind of 'trot' line in the garage/barn and give her enough line to lay down. If I keep it high--6'-- do you think it will keep her safe from getting hurt or tangled?
    Candy

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Opps :oops: Katie is 3 1/2 not 2 1/2---I guess I really AM rattled
    Candy

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have one doe that all the others run from when she walks near them. She is the sweetest thing in the world, so you would never guess she could be like that. I am not one to say if you should tie her to a line. I would be rather worried about it. How about letting her go and see if she does it again. Maybe take a spray bottle with you to spray her in the face id she tried it. Is there a place that the babies can go and hide? I always have a get away place for the babies in case I have a doe that is mean. Let the adults fight it out. Even when I introduced my new baby buck to the buck pen I put a dog crate where only he could get into it and that way he can get away for the big boys.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How are things this evening? What did you decide to do?

A trolly line is better then just a tie up - not best but we have had to do simular in desperate situations.

8. Candy

Candy New Member

Oh, Stacey, I tied her to a trot/trolly line but felt so bad about it that I went out to get her and try her with the others again. When I saw her she was so tangled in the line that was hooked up to the trot line that in another 2 min. she would have hung herself. I finally got her loose and all I could do was cry. She just laid down beside me and put her head on my lap.
    When I pulled myself together, I got a spray bottle and tried her in the pen. The others ran when they saw her but she just went in the shed and laid down. I stayed until dark and things were quiet. She let her buckling nurse and allowed the others in the shed. I've turned the baby moniter on and came back to the house. So far, :roll: so good.
    I think I traumatized her and she'll never forgive me for it. I feel like the wicked witch of the west :tears:
    Candy

9. Candy

Candy New Member

I also took the advice to put a 'safe' place out there so the kids could get away from her. All I had handy was a travel crate for dogs so I took the door off and used that
    Candy

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the kids will learn fast where to hide :D

As to your doe - she will forgive you. Sometimes they do the dumbest things and we try our best to solve the problem only for them to cause more problems. THey drive me nuts so much that I want to just give up. But of course I cant as i love them to much

Anyway I hope that whatever set her off is gone now and she can be a normal herd queen from here on out

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Candy, I do hope that all continues to be calm. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help when you called, When this happens with my girls they have never hurt or gone after any babies, and the pretty much work it out, usually one of the older girls, Boots or Tilly, will go after each other or the 2 younger does, and it's when I am either getting ready to feed or just giving someone else attention...it's like they have to prove who's head goat with me. I'm sure Katie will forgive you, I know how stressed you are over this and the fact that Kizzy is limping, well I'm sure she'll be fine by tomorrow. The spray bottle is a very good idea to have on hand also, a squirt gun works great too. :hug:

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I haven't had that problem with goats so have no really direct advice. But I did make sure that I had more that one place to put hay and that those places were placed so that the goats had their backs to each other while eating from the hay racks. The theory is that they should never have to compete with each other to have a spot to eat and that when eating, they should not be in each others line of sight. The dominate goat just pushes the other from where she is eating and that goat goes to the feed the other doe left. That has been my design with my horses and, since it worked well with them, I applied to the goats. So far so good.