The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gave an anemic adult 5cc of iron IM about 30mins ago I kept an eye for 10 cam in and just checked on her she's breathing really fast. I've never had this happen before not sure what to do I'm certain it was just in the muscle and not in a vein or artery

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
What was the cause of th anemia? I have never heard of iron causing rapid breathing...Does she have bottle jaw ??

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just spoke with vet allergic reaction no more I'm injections for her so no what foods are high in iron and b vita I can give?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Is she allergic to just the shots...?? as Stancy said..red cell is an oral iron supplement..might want to talk to your vet to see if she will do well with it first..
with anemia high protien diets are needed to help rebuild..here is a very good article on treating anemia..its a long road to recovery..
Offer the goat green leaves, alfalfa hay, and high protein pelleted goat feed to help rebuild red blood cells.

Keep in mind that anemia results from a massive decrease in protein caused by the loss of red blood cells to blood-sucking internal parasites. Recovery from anemia can take weeks and sometimes months. Goats lose weight very fast and put it back on very slowly. Gain that is too rapid will be deposited as layers of fat around internal organs, so slow and steady re-gain of weight by a recovering goat is best.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html
include quality loose minerals

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, the vet said no oral either and yes she is apparently allergic to the shots(only one of my girls) gave her Benadryl and she ding much better now. I'll read the article I was planning on getting kelp tomorrow may I was looking forward to just giving the shots and being done

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
best wishes in her care...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks I think we're in the all clear the fast breathing threw me for a loop I was thinking it may have increased her heart rate or something not as simple as allergic reaction

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I think that would have scared me too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't figure out how to start a new feed, but i have a doe that has one normal teat and the other one has a lump in it that doesn't effect the amount of milk or the quality of the milk, but it looks weird and feels weird while milking. I will get pictures in the morning of before and after.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
You might want to start your own thread in health and wellness...This area is for emergencies only. You will get more responses starting your own topic.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
can't figure out how to start a new feed
Go to the top and click forum...you will get a list of subjects..click health and wellness..then on the top of that click new thread...that will give you your own place to make a title and write your need...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts