The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO! I have 3 fat yearlings that need to lose weight before i breed them this year. They were all born January 9th, 2018, but only 2 are related. The 2 twins, Cheerio and Poptart are really easy keepers, other than their hooves, thanks to their mom Delta. Cricket, who is not related to them, has always been a bit chunky, I have noticed. Cheerio and Poptart are 1/4 mini Nubian 3/4 Nigerian cross, and Cricket, I will have to do the math, but her MOM is 1/4 Mini Nubian and 3/4 Nigerian, and her SIRE is 100% Nigerian dwarf. I am not sure on the percentage there lol, and i have never sat down and figured it out. So, i am guessing their weight should be about 60-65 pounds for Cricket, and maybe 70-75 pounds for the twins? Well, last time i weighed cricket, I forgot to wright it down, so i cant remember anymore! Same with cheerio and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to weigh Poptart. She wont even let me get 2 feet between us unless their is a gate between me and her. I am really debating getting rid of her, but that is for another thread! ANYWAYS i will get the weight tomorrow, and if i cant tomorrow, the then the next day for SURE, bc i may be out of town tomorrow with family.
They are currently being fed:
1/2 c Whole oats
1/2 steamed Barley
free choice alfalfa and coastal hay
free choice browse on coastal grass
minerals

That's it! I don't know how they are gaining weight! I can literally grab their armpit fat! especially Cheerio... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Nigerian dwarf Goat

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
From everything that I have read, putting them on a diet right before breeding would be a bad thing, better than after breeding, though. Would it be possible to breed them and regulate their feed or walk them a lot? Walking them may work better than anything else.

·
Fair-Haven
4,660 Posts
When do you plan to breed? You could try to cut down (just a handful) on the grain and just stick with hay for a month..... I have a fat girl that is on a "diet" but I won't breed her until mid October - giving her about a month to slim down a bit - but she is holding her weight exceptionally well - sigh

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When do you plan to breed?
I was planning on october - November breeding, so i could get them to lose weight.

You could try to cut down (just a handful) on the grain and just stick with hay for a month.....
I definitley will do that! When you say hay, does that include alfalfa? or just grass hay?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
we need more information.
what are there body condition score? 1 is a skeleton 5 is a butter ball and you can not feel any ribs at all.
when do you plan to breed them?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are there body condition score? 1 is a skeleton 5 is a butter ball and you can not feel any ribs at all.
Is there a 4.5??? LOL! yes i can feel their ribs, but BARELY! I will get a pic for yall in a bit!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
image.jpeg

Poptart is on the far left with the horns, and Cheerio is in the middle.

image.jpeg

This is Cricket. These pics are form about 4 days ago, and yes, I am working on their selenium tails.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts