Fat goat.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, Lyric is FAT! I can't get her to stay at one consistent weight. This is what she usually looks like.

[​IMG]

And that's before she got to eat. After she gets her food she looks like a balloon that's about to burst. I'm afraid she's not going to be able to get pregnant if I don't get her weight down. So should I just tie her up next to one of the feeders? Or should I try to tie them all up? They all get some sweet feed with alfalfa pellets and a wheelbarrow full of hay. Orion is also fat by the way. Plus I don't think it's healthy for her to be this large.

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh and she's been wormed.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would go ahead and cut back on sweetfeed and pellets. I have some does that just get fat on nothing and others that take a little more to keep their weight up even when they've been wormed.

4. Candy

Candy New Member

She dosen't look fat to me. I don't see excess over her hips/rump or shoulders. My nigis look like that all the time. I don't see obesity unless I have to 'mine' for ribs & backbone. Just MHO though. I might be wrong. Someone else 'chime in'.
    Candy :sun:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has a "hay belly" and even then that isnt bad at all!

I dont see the fat around the hips or ridgeline. She looks quite healthy to me

you have nothing to worry about :thumb:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she looks fine to me as well....hay belly or if she is gets bigger in the belly than that ...could be a little bloat....put out free choice baking soda.....if they won't eat it .......put some in there mouth... :)

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Sheesh, if that's fat that my Boers are morbidly obese. :lol:

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    she's not bad at all hon.. don't worry.. and if you still want the weight to go down. cut back on grain. i don't give much grain at all unless they are preggers or in milk.

i think my bucks and dry animals get a handful each

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay good! I was thinking that she was fat because my other two does don't have that roundness that she has. Lyric gains weight on very little that I have noticed. I actually kind of like it because it costs a lot less to feed her! But I will probably go ahead and tie her up so that she can't get everyone elses feed. :roll: