Fat goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newtopygmies, Oct 18, 2010.

1. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    My goats are too fat. What am I doing wrong. I have a large roll of hay and two pastures fenced off until they grow back a little. When I bought them (pygmies and pygmy mixes) they looked slim and trim.

Should I quit feeding them altogether for a while or stop the free choice hay?
    I have already quit giving them grain but they just get fatter. They look like they are all pregnant..even my buck.

If this subject has been posted before please forgive.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont just stop feeding them they need food.

YOu can limit their hay intake if you think they are consuming ot much. But goats do need to fatten up some before winter

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree .... :greengrin:

if they have pasture access ....they should be limited from the field.....easy keepers can get fat on a good pasture too.... :wink:

4. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Thank you for your help...I'll give your suggestions a try.
    I am about at wits end.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Don't feel bad. My goats are FAT too. Try to cut back on the feed and boy do I hear about it! :laugh: They think I'm mean. If I have to watch my waist line, so do they. :greengrin:

Gina

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Round in pygmies doesn't always mean fat....if you can feel their spine when you run your hands down their back and they don't have a wiggly fat pad between their front legs, they're fine.

Also, this time of year they are getting a super thick undercoat, my Heidi looks much bigger than her 52 pounds but when I run my hands down her spine, I know she has a bit too much padding and it's not hair.