Fat goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all. A couple of fat does. My boer is the fattest. I feel like a bad Mom. I feed them first cut hay. I figured that had less calories. She gets 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellet and 1/4 cup Calf Manna Am and PM. I figured she'd need the extra vitamins from the Calf Manna. She had bad skin before I started her on it. I only give her and the other fatty a small bit of hay at night but during the day they eat with the others who I don't want to cut back on. Am I being dumb giving her Alfalfa pellets and Calf Manna? I have to give her something when I feed the others. :(

2. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    I don’t know as much as everyone that will chime in that’s for sure but did you weigh them? Is that why you think they are fat? I only say that because with mine getting thicker coats for winter and after they eat and their rumen is working they look fat but they really aren’t.

3. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    My girl always looks fat and I swear when I put her on a diet she got fatter. I feel like she doesn't play because she's so fat, she can't run with the others.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is she honestly fat or has a good rumen. Big difference. Can you post a picture?

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree can you post pictures of them?
    Run your finger down her spine, does it feel bumpy or smooth?
    - Compare this to running your fingers over your knuckles...bumpy or like the back of your hand smooth.
    If she is smooth, chances are she is fat.
    Does she have fat pockets behind her front legs, on her brisket, neck and/or udder area?

Hard to give advise without seeing the goat.

mariarose and Goat_Scout like this.
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Is one of them the girl posing with the huge scratching brush? I aske because the thought crossed my mind when I saw her, "That herd is well fed, no starvation or neglect there."

Why are you giving calf-manna to girls you think are too hefty? It is known to put weight on...

A. Pellets I can see giving.

Without seeing a picture, I can only guess it is not the rumen, or you'd be saying your whole herd is fat, not just a couple? All mine come in at evening with full rumens, not just a few.

7. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I will get some pics today. They are such a mixed herd, my Saanens dont get real fat and eat a lot more. Is it enough to just give alfalfa pellets? She doesn't go for loose minerals like the others and I thought maybe she needed vitamins in Calf Manna.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    These are my fatties. The white one isnt as bad, but definitely is heftier than the other Saanens. The Boer is a big hay eater bit I cant limit her during the day because the others aren't as chubby. Take her off Calf Manna and just do 1/2 cup Alfalfa pellets or even less? 20181023_070333.jpeg 1540292693089.jpeg 20181023_070346.jpeg

Goat_Scout likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Boer goats are meat goats. They do look bigger. You really need to judge them from a different criteria than dairy. It really just looks like rumen to me. Calf Manna really doesn't add enough minerals so unless you need weight gain, I wouldn't bother with it. If you want them to get their minerals, the get Replamin Plus and give it weekly.

mariarose and Goat_Scout like this.
  10. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Ok. I was giving them the Replamin Plus but of course she hates it and she's the one i think needs it most for her coat. Ill just go with the Alfalfa pellets. She definitely has some flubber behind her front legs. Thanks!

11. mariarose

All my goats find Replamin unpalatable. (as do I!) They get it anyway when I think they need it.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  12. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    They look great! I like my girls (dairy and meat) to have a bit more flesh on them coming into winter. Because almost always, what extra fat they do have, they lose by the time winter/kidding is over.

But so saying, I'd probably stop feeding the Boer calf manna. It doesn't look like she needs it anymore. ;)

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Going into winter, it is OK for them to go in a bit up on weight, unless they are preggo.

If they are indeed fat, decrease feed.
    Calfmanna is a good one for weight gain, you may want to stop that part and see.

They look like full rumens to me, hard to tell though, if they are too fat being top angle, as that shows a full rumen.
    A side view may help to see the overall weight.

14. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I don't want to be a bad momma. Since she doesnt like the Replamin, does anyone know of a vitamin supplement that would help her coat that I could put in her feed daily?

15. mariarose

No, I don't know of anything, but I'm sure others here do. I concentrate on minerals and lots of natural forage. So I'm pretty ignorant of products.

Someone here, I can't remember who right off, mixes the replamin minerals into the daily grain. If you haven't tried that, perhaps your doe wouldn't mind it that way?

Good luck!

16. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    It's ME, Mariarose! I mix it in each goat's grain ration because my adult does LOVE it. In fact I used to have a LaMancha who would suck it right out of the tube and beg for more. However, 2 of our 4 kids don't like it at all. We feed it to them with a spoon -you can scrape it on the roofs of their mouths - and then give a treat. You could also get your goat used to eating whole peanuts. Then be sneaky: Gut the peanut and fill it with replamin and feed it to them.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  17. mariarose

Oh, Of course, @groovyoldlady
    I remember now. I'm sorry I could not place you right off.

LOL Putting it in Peanut shells! So creative...

18. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    That’s what I do with garlic too! Cut the tip off the peanut shell stuff garlic in and put a peanut back in. Oliver gobbles it right up.

19. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Those goats look "well loved"
    :)