The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently by a 50# bag of oats from one feed store, 12% sweet feed from TSC (because they seem to love it the best and wouldn't touch other mixes) combine those in almost equal amounts maybe a little heavier on the feed side, and mix in a bit of black sunflower and alfalfa pellets (which are completely WASTED on my buck, but my girls love). We use comparatively small amounts of alfalfa and sunflower, so I estimate that 50# of this mixed costs me about $12.00 when it's said and done. They get free choice minerals on the side too.

What do you guys do for your favorite feed? Mix your own? Buy in bulk? I don't want anything wasted (which was the case with one kind of feed, they just picked everything else out, literally, wasn't gonna do that again). I wouldn't mind adding something else, especially if it would stretch the life of the mix and, of course, be good for the goats! :)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Alfalfa pellets on the milk stand. Natural forage, and the best hay I can get in the Winter are the daytime feeds. If the hay is really awful then I supplement with alfalfa pellets in the pens as well. One girl gets oats. Free choice good quality minerals.

The alfalfa pellets I get are the Summit brand, out of Canada. They are non-gmo.

My bucks LOVE the alfalfa pellets. They get a hand full every morning when I put them away.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
Milking does get a little grain mix that I mix up. Equal amounts of Oats and Barley and about 1/3 of those amounts of BOSS.

Everyone else (and the milkers) all get alfalfa pellets mixed with chaffhaye in their pens. My buck used to hate the alfalfa, he eats it up now. I did get a different brand so maybe try that?

We go through 2 bags of chaffhaye and 6 bags of alfalfa pellets a month for 9 goats. We also go through about 1 square bale of hay a week. They started eating less hay when I started feeding them alfalfa more.

After this next month, they'll have access to a pasture full of brush...so I anticipate their feed will go down quite a bit for a while.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I mix 8 parts sweet COB (from a local mill), 1 part calf manna and 1 part BOSS. My milkers get that on the stand, my bucks get a dab when in rut. Everyone gets free choice triticale with some alfalfa. I usually give approximately 2/3 triticale to 1/3 alfalfa.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are great to hear. I see a lot of folks liking the BOSS for a premix. I should add I use sweetlix 16:8 goat mineral and my goats are on rotated forest forage during the day, this is just their "dinner bell" food that brings em running. Based on you guys' input, I think I'm going to give adding barley a run.

While this would be a supplement, I know, have any of you had any experience using kelp or purchasing it in bulk? The breeder of our newest ND said she used it when her goats looked a little 'off', and they responded really well. She says got it at a local feed store there (several hours north of us), but everyone gives me the crazy eyes when I ask about it around here.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I offer it free choice when I have it. I ran out and did not get it ordered in time. Excellent source of iodine and other trace minerals. @goathiker uses a sea salt lick instead of kelp and says it works just as well.

The brand she uses is Redmond. I order my kelp from North American Kelp. I can find links if you want them.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,215 Posts
After all that I'd better add my feed lol

I make a custom mix:

200 lbs. whole oats
100 lbs. rolled barley
50 lbs. field peas
40 lbs. boss

A forage pellet:

Orchard grass hay
GMO free alfalfa
Beet pulp
Rice bran
Flaxseed oil

I use Purina Wind and Rain Storm minerals
An iodine source
A cobalt source
A salt source

I feel the new trend of limiting salt to the small amount in loose minerals is not good for our goats. No other type of livestock is denied their salt lick.
I did try it for a few years and was constantly fighting copper, selenium, zinc, and other deficiencies. Since adding it back in I rarely have to give anything more than a copper bolus once or twice a year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After all that I'd better add my feed lol

I make a custom mix:

200 lbs. whole oats
100 lbs. rolled barley
50 lbs. field peas
40 lbs. boss

A forage pellet:

Orchard grass hay
GMO free alfalfa
Beet pulp
Rice bran
Flaxseed oil

I use Purina Wind and Rain Storm minerals
An iodine source
A cobalt source
A salt source

I feel the new trend of limiting salt to the small amount in loose minerals is not good for our goats. No other type of livestock is denied their salt lick.
I did try it for a few years and was constantly fighting copper, selenium, zinc, and other deficiencies. Since adding it back in I rarely have to give anything more than a copper bolus once or twice a year.
Someone on here once told me that salt was most important in the hottest times of the year for them. I'd been using red edge year round and they said that was good to add to a hearty mineral blend, for salt. Ya think that's ok?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Someone on here once told me that salt was most important in the hottest times of the year for them. I'd been using red edge year round and they said that was good to add to a hearty mineral blend, for salt. Ya think that's ok?
Now we use a much better mineral, sweetlix and they use it much more sparingly, but I can see the difference in their coats and horns

1 - 20 of 53 Posts