The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get into this (doe was just on wormer, have milk to get use up). I just put orange oil and anise oil in my plug in diffuser, and it is delightfully spicy and it smells awesome! Almond complemented it well too. It is cold outside, so this fragrance is warming and energizing.

I think I am going to use some Thieve's Oil in one batch. Plus this Anise and Orange combo.

If you combine various essential oils, what are some of your favorite combos for soapmaking?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A combo of several other oils that supposedly is good for your health and the immune system.

Cinnamon, Clove, Lemon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary are the oils in it.

It smells really good. I put a couple drops on the collar of my sick human kid earlier, to help open his sinuses and such.

·
Registered
30,625 Posts
Thieves is good! I like Patchouli and Cederwood and a dash of anise as a mix..nice earthy scent..we have mixed peppermint and orange..awesome..Lavender and rosemary is nice..My hubbies fav is Eucalyptus and tea tree oil...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be holding off on lav right now, because if I like how the soap turns out, I want to give some to family, and my mom is allergic. I love lavender though.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
:( that's sad. I also like tea tree and peppermint, and lemon (I've used lemongrass and citronella)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Where do you all buy your soap supplies? I am wanting to make soap, but need everything besides the milk still! Lol.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Our most recent batches were Lemon Eucalyptus and Vanilla Rosemary.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Where do you all buy your soap supplies? I am wanting to make soap, but need everything besides the milk still! Lol.
I get the lye from the hardware store, oils from grocery/health food store. Supplies also from hardware store, and you can find scales anywhere... essential oils I have to find at health food store. i'm sure you'll be able to find everything you need fairly easily. well, maybe except for the lye..... go to the plumbing area and look for 100% lye/sodium hydroxide/NaOH.

Make sure you have ALL your safety gear. safety first!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a Menards (hardware/home improvement mega store), they have 100% lye clearly marked and easily found. Not one with fillers and stabilizers and dye in it like what I could find at Lowes.

I got my oils at various health food stores. Kroger/King Soopers (gosh, the spelling nut in me HATES to write that name out) may carry a few oils, like lavender. I know they carry various coconut oils (and others for various recipes) in their cooking oils, and those could be used for bases.

Next year, if I get a bit more to grow, I wonder with what I could mix my sage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts