Favourite breed and why!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NewbieNubian, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nubian

2.0%
  2. LaMancha

6.0%
  3. Oberhasli

4.0%
  4. Alpine

2.0%
  5. Saanen

8.0%
  6. Boer

6.0%
  7. Kiko

28.0%
  8. Mytonic Goat (Fainting Goats)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nigerian Dwarf

8.0%
  10. Pygmy

36.0%
  1. thomaskids

thomaskids New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Menifee, Ca
    My favorite breed is between Nigerian and Lamanchas. I also have Nubians but they are abnoctious at times but you gotta love those ears! Lamancha babies are the cutest and Nigerians are always cute!! :cool:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I picked Myotonics! :shocked: LOL Because they are the BEST!!!! ;) They are the sweetest, prettiest, most perfect multi purpose breed. Oh and yes, I'm biased!!! LOL I LOVE my myos.

3. Peppy Kids

Peppy Kids New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Menifee, California
    I would have to choose Nubians and Boers!!!! I just love my goats!! Nubians with there lovable ears and Boers are just real easy keepers :love: They can be bit annoying at times but i love them anyways.

Peppy Kid's Goat Farm
    www.peppykidsgoatfarm.weebly.com

4. NewbieNubian

NewbieNubian Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    PeppyKids - Of course you're all the way down in Cali! And you're a breeder after my own heart. XD Love my Boers, love my Nubies. Big floppy ears, roman noses, and just the perfect build to them. Love them both. If I ever manage to make it down south, I'll have to come for a visit. :laugh:

5. jaycee

jaycee Senior Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Alton, IL
    I like the nubians as well although I haven't much experience with any other breed. I've heard some people criticize them because they are loud and willful. Personally I like those qualities. One lady who I bought doelings from warned me never to start talking back to them or they'd never stop yelling, but I still do it. My back deck is about 60 yards from the barn across a little valley and they see me walk out the back door anytime of day and start yelling at me... so I always yell back... it annoys my wife but thats certainly not any reason to stop :greengrin: I suppose if I lived near town or had close neighbors I'd want them quieter, but as it is they are alot less annoying to me than all my darn rescue dogs barking at the same things day after day. I also like that they are headstrong and try to be bossy, they make me laugh everyday.

6. jaycee

jaycee Senior Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Alton, IL
    Hi I've been reading through this thread and discovered John Derek's link above about Myotonic goats. I found it very interesting, so much so that I started googling them. The question I have, and can't seem to find the answer to even with google is... I understand at a rudimentary level the biology behind the condition but... If these goats evolved naturally as JD's article maintains, how in the world did evolution allow such a seemingly detrimental trait to survive???

7. Jdyson

Jdyson New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    My favorites are the fainters because they are just so adorable! They are always happy to see me whether I have food or not and that just warms my heart.
    My close second is the nigerian. They are so spunky and curious. They want to know everything your doing and will put themselves in the way to find out.
    Both breeds are small and fairly easy to handle which is good for me because I am on the short side anyway. :)

8. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    My favorites are Nubians and Alpines of course!

I like Nubians because of their long floppy ears, roman noses and their graceful appearance. They also act like they are the queen/king of the world. My Nubians aren't very loud, only a couple holler a lot at feeding time. Their kids are very cute with their super long ears.

I like Alpines because they look like deer. They are curious, outgoing, spontaneous and sometimes a little crazy. My Alpines are all very quiet and love to jump on things. They are always entertaining.

For a meat breed, I like the Boers. The big muscular does and bucks are gorgeous IMO.