The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Nigerian Dwarf who was treated with corid about three weeks ago for coccidiosis. (we also treated him for barber pole using safeguard ). Here we are again, same symptoms. I did a fecal on him yesterday. Understand, this is my second time doing a fecal. I had decided to do his pen mate right before the Nigerian Dwarf because he looks great (dark pink eyelids, great manure, nice coat) and wanted to use the pen mate as a type of control. Anyway, the ND was full of "stuff" and the pen mate, a Nubian wether, looked pretty clear. After a couple of hours trying to study the ND's fecals, I estimated about 1900 for barber pole and more than I could count of coccidia. Vet said to do the same regime again as a few weeks ago.
I feel a bit disappointed, I have been giving worm balls and garlic daily. His pen gets scraped up and cleaned nightly and he gets fresh water every morning, along with hay and chaffhaye. I just ordered land of havilah last night and can't wait to try it.

Anyway, I did a fecal today on the dry doe and got 900 for the barber pole and 1200 for coccidia. What do you guys think of this? She is 3.5 years old.

Also, and last thing, I visualized something under the microscope with the dry goat today. This thing had a definite center, round and maybe brownish-gray, BUT the shape around it was somewhat irregular. It almost looked like a sunnyside up egg, but not every time. There were a few of those. Thanks for any feedback. I can't believe how much I've learned after only a few hours doing fecals!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vet said to do 1 cc of corid for every 5 lb of weight and to dilute it in Gatorade. He is three and a half months old and is 32 lb. So we gave him 6 cc's of corid. When he had had it last, about 3 weeks ago or so, we gave him 5 cc's because he was 25 lbs. It seemed to have work, but it took almost the full five days to get back to normal. We gave him his first dose this morning, and his manure alrighty is improving.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw, I took the number of coccidia organisms and multiplied by 50, the same for the barberpole. Not sure if that is right to do. I added up all the organisms separately from both chambers and then multiplied by 50.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't young goats become immune to coccidia eventually?
They're never technically "immune" but their immunity does build as they reach maturity. Kids are the most susceptible because their immune system is weaker. Adults are still at risk when under high amounts of stress.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Way underdosed.

And if you also diluted it with gatorade, even after it was pre-mixed at the vet, it was further way underdosed.

Corid is sold OTC, the powder form is the best way to go.

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
Or the Pre mixed- Shake well before use.
solution give as follows
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
treat individually for 5 days

20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
Mix solution well. Shake well before use.
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
and so on
treat individually for 5 days

As to the worm issue, do they get free choice loose salt and minerals?
Are they copper deficient? If so, lack of copper can make them unable to fight worms off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Corid I have shows 9.6% oral solution coccidiostat. Active ingredient amprolium at 9.6%.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lastly, the ND had normal manure and is acting his normal self. We caught it much earlier than last time. I will do another fecal on him in a couple of days and am interested to see a difference.

The goats all get free choice new country organic goat minerals and kelp. We also clean out their pen nightly. I haven't given him any copper bolus of any kind. He's 32 pounds and I likely can try to give him some. From what I've read, I can open the capsule and weigh the rods to dose him appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
If you didn't dose like the chart above states, for dosage and weight, it won't work.

I honestly do a cocci prevention every 21 days for my kids as they grow.
If you have active cases, it is a good idea to do, as they can pick it up again from the ground.
Unless you rotate them to a clean field/area, after they have been treated properly.

Do not feed from the ground.

All goats have a small amount of cocci.
It is at a safe level, unless stressed, it can explode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts