Fecal Samples to Lab?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jan 16, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hey all, I'm looking into sending fecal samples to a lab for testing a couple times a year. I think a couple on here have done this. Do u think it is worth it? I looked a little into on their website and you have to mail it overnight, right? And keep it cold? Do you think it ends up costing more than to just take it to the vet?

Anyways, just curious about it. . . . I really don't think I'll ever get around to learning how to do fecals on our goats and I'm sure Victoria is getting sick of me asking her to do them. :oops:

Oh, I think you send it to WADDL?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yah send to WADDL - if you are concerned and most vets forward them onto WADDL also - so why pay the vet fee on top of the WADDL fees!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much does it cost and how fast do they get results to you?

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I think Washington State is cheaper, I would be one for getting a mocroscope for home use. I really think it is nessicary for seeing what the parasites look like, and really learning about them, the life cycles, the way goats can have parasites and not pass on eggs. I guess you can spend the money on the lab, but I myself will be saving for a scope for myself. I can take poops to work, but I love looking and learning..I think I am a bit obsessed about it. I am not sure on price of fecals @ WADL..Olivia, get some more poops for Wednesday, I really do not mind looking..I can take them in town with me Thursday..and LOOK!!
    Oh, you don't have to refrigerate to poops, but the fresher the better :wink:
    I think especially if you are having a problem, it is best to have access to a scope. I love being able to look weeky. Especially looking at the books at pics of what to look for ..as I said, I am a bit weird.. :shades:
    Urine under the microscope looks like a rainbow!!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I have my own "scope" but I dont always know what I am looking at :sigh:

I jsut had this grand idea. My friend is going to vet tech school and she wants me to cut her hair -- her teaching me how to look for eggs would be such a great trade off......must make a phone call

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Even after several years of loking at fecals, I use a guide to id what kind of bugs I am looking at.
    I am sure there is a good book for pics out there ...

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I know, I keep going back and forth on whether to just get a microscope. Just scared that I'll miss something or not be able to identify correctly.

I will definitely be giving you some poops on Wednesday. :)

Gotta check, but we might, just might still have a microscope. . . . hopefully!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    why not have Victoria teach you, then if you ever arent sure you can just have her double check for you :thumb:

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    If you have one we will have to get the float solution, I never mixed it myself, I am sure there is a recipe for it, maybe someone on here knows?? It would be nice to look on Wednesday..I think I remember your Mom having one..

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this is how I do my fecals - trob1 on here does hers this way

24 hours ahead of time I boil water and add salt till no more desolves and there is about 1/4 inch of salt still in the bottom of the jar.

I collect my berries in zip lock bags and write their name on the bag.

put 4 or 5 berries into a plastic disposable cup and cover with salt water. Take popcicle sticks and break up the berries.

Let stand for a few minutes and swirl around to loosen eggs.

Strain berry water into a clean plastic cup then pour into a vial and to the top till it almost spills over and put a slide cover on top of the vial. ( I use gauze or you can use a coffee filter and some use a tea strainer but I like gauze)

Let stand for 20 minutes and then carefully place the slide cover on a slide and check for worm eggs. Most of the worm eggs will be on the outer rim of the slide.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, that sounds fairly simple. . . .

My mom said we have one (from Caleb's science class) but she also went on a major "de-junking" stage and got rid of a lot of stuff. So, I'll go ask soon and then search around. I think if we do have it, it's a fairly simple one nothing special. Do you think it would still work?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine says "my first lab" on it -- very simple was like 90.00

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Yea, it should work, I made copies @ work today of rumen parasites!!
    And copies of coccidia..get ready for science class!! :greengrin:

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    My vet does the fecals in his office. That way I can get the results within a couple of hours and pick up any medication if needed.

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Our vet does the fecals in her clinic and will call us with the results, if we need any kind of medication we will pick it up.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yippeee! :leap: We do still have it! :D So glad I don't have to buy one. . . . ;)

Okay, so it does look pretty simple but I think it looks like it'll work. It has up to x1200. Is that good enough? I even have the slides and some vials too, so that's cool. Hopefully the microscope "zooms" enough though. . . .

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use an up to 10 optical zoom I think :scratch:

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, then what I have must be really good then? Maybe too much? :scratch:

19. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    You guys are probably way past this, but I posted this in caprine special care - Goatbiology.com has a 'how to' for fecals. Unfortunately it only provides a reference to a vet book for id-ing what you see and not diagrams or photos. I think she uses epson salts for the solution...

p.s. FiasCo has about the same 'how to' page but has photos of many of the common parasite eggs that you might encounter!! http://fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm