The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some fecal samples checked by the vet tomorrow. I have about 40 goats and I'm wondering about how many different samples should I take to have checked . Just a couple or quite a few to get an idea of what I need to worm for or to find out if my wormers are working? I keep the young goats together in a separate barn and pasture than the big goats. I wormed everyone with safeguard a few weeks ago. And have seen no more signs of tapeworms in the grown goats but its obvious that it didn't work for the young ones. The actually have gotten worse. So I have ordered valbazen to treat them with as soon as it arrives.

·
14,615 Posts
Id get several; a few from your older does of various ages & likewise with the younger ones.
Maybe a couple from ones who you think are ok & ones who look like they might need it?

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
Sorry to barge in, I have a question also. Our daily temps right now range from 75-85 •f, will the poop samples be ok in sand which bags on the way to the vet, or do we need to put them in an old cooler with ice to keep it cool. I've read somewhere before that heat will make things in the poop change. Is that true or a myth?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious too.... I just came in off poop patrol collecting samples. I put each one in a sandwich bag also with each ones name on it. I plan to take the samples in the morning. Or do I need to collect them right before I go?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez..... I've got to learn how to do my own fecals. I took 8 samples and just dropped them off and was still charged $45 for the visit plus $15 for each sample. So I ended up paying $165. I had no idea it was gonna cost that much until I got the bill. Instead of being in the dog house ill probably be in the goat house for a couple days when my husband finds out...:(

·
Super Moderator
59,286 Posts
Your vet actually charged an office visit? I would be complaining about that. That is uncalled for.

I can drop off fecals and only be charged for the fecals. My vet charges $20 per fecal. He does automatically check for coccidia. I only have 3 girls so it is easier for me to just take a fecal in to the vet.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I talked to the vet the other day my understanding was that I would only have to pay for the fecals.

·
Super Moderator
59,286 Posts
I would call their office and talk to them about that. That is unfair. You are already paying for the fecals. You shouldn't be paying for an office visit when no animal is being seen.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. Im gonna call this afternoon when the owner/ main vet is there. I found out that he has cancer and is retiring soon so I'm also gonna call around and see if I can find another goat vet also.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've called all the vet offices and only 1 out of about 20 will see goats but only during business hours so I would be on my own during an emergency and they won't do c sections on goats . However they don't charge for the office visit just to do fecals .

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the office and asked about my bill. They admitted that they over charged me and apologized :) and blamed it on the girl at the desk. they probably just thought i wouldnt question it. they are only suppose to charge $15 for the visit on stuff like that and the fecals were only suppose to be $8.50 each:)

·
Super Moderator
59,286 Posts
Good thing you called. I still don't see why they charge any type of office visit but at least things were greatly reduced down.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called around and nobody else charges for office visits on fecals except them but all the others charge twice as much for the fecals

1 - 16 of 16 Posts