Fecal test

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Driver, Jul 11, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If the kids are only 12 weeks old I would be careful with copper. I was told a while back to be very careful giving copper to goats under 6 months old. I would definitely talk with the vet on that.

I absolutely agree. You can not go solely on FAMACHA. I've been working on fecals and deworming/cocci treatment this past week. While most of ours do not have much in the way of stomach worms, many of our does had a rise in cocci. The 3 you wouldn't think had a higher stomach worm egg count, are the 3 that have good FAMACHA scores and 2 of those have excellent body condition. Maybe they can handle higher worm loads, I don't know, but because we are getting some ready for breeding, and some ready for show, we are not messing around and we are treating them.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    As per mariarose, copper is safe at 20#.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I honestly wouldn't chance it depending on the breed especially. 20lbs. would be a 1 month old for standard goats. If the goat has issues I could see trying it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable/safe doing it younger than weaning age.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    I have the set up McMaster slide, microscope etc. When doing a float test is there a chart to help identify different worm eggs? Strongyle. Nematodirus specifically?? Do the pros do diffent float test for each?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  6. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What is the concern with giving goats copper?

7. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Something that I just recently found that works great for Cocci are Papaya seeds! Do some research on Papaya seeds and their uses and then do some research on Cocci.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Just a question. .you took the goat to a vet. Got fecal results..and worm medication..whats the problem? You can follow the vets instructions. Do another fecal and start your all natural program then.

toth boer goats and Driver like this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I gave a copper bolus to a 3 monh old 40 pound baby. They are both doing fine at their new home!

NigerianDwarfOwner707 and Driver like this.
  10. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    No problem just running through the group. Seeing what real life experiences are out there. I'm fine with vets instructions but always open minded about other possible solutions.

11. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What brand ivermectin injection brand do you guys recommend? If giving orally what brand? Vet gave me 1/2 cc thinking I should have some on hand. Was told it stings when injected.

Thanks

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You can give the injectable orally but the dose is different - 1cc per 33lb.

You can inject it at 1cc per 40lb.

Driver and Moers kiko boars like this.
  13. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    So did my own fecal test at home. Surprised it came out online with labs results.

Question i couldn't focus on the entire McMaster grid could only focus on a quater of grid. I had to move the slide up and down and side to side. Is this normal or is my microscope not that great:) Or operator error?

14. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Are you focusing on the grid lines, counting only one lane at a time, and using the 10x objective? You will need to move the slide in order to navigate. Then you add both chambers up and multiply by 50.

Moers kiko boars and Driver like this.
  15. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Yes 10× only can get it to focus when it's up close, and it's only focusing on a quater of the column. Then I moved slide down to count column and back up the next column. You can see entire column/lane on yours?

I only counted one chamber and X100 but I'll do both next time and x50

16. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Okay! I wasn’t sure what quarter you meant. You’re doing it right! I feel like the focusing issue could be microscope quality related like you suggested. Which is a bummer.

I can see the entire column on mine. I do have to fine tune mine as I move around. Eventually I’ll be buying a dual eyepiece microscope because the single one just gives me a headache.

17. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Good news it works and thanks for the help. May need to invest in something nicer.

18. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    You can buy Ivermectin plus at Tractor Supply