Fecal testing & Microscopes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MissMM, Jan 18, 2008.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Does anybody have a recommendation for which type of microscope to get?

How about - does anybody have a digital one that can be connected to a computer & do the images come up clear enough to make it worth the extra expense?

Thanks in advance for your time - mmm

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    That is the same one I got and found it local at a parent teacher store. Oh and same price 89 bucks.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I also have the one recommended by Fiaso farm, you can get it off of amazon.

As far as the thingys that you hook up to computers, I found one in the nasco catalog, its a camera you hook up to the microscope, its $250

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Thanks ladies. I just ordered the First Labs Ultimate digital microscope - only $99. I don't hold out much hope that the images will come out very clear on the computer, but we'll see.

Thanks for your help.

Any comments on what type of a fleece blower to get for fiber goats? One that might be quieter than a shop vac on reverse/blow? My goats run for cover when they see me bring it in the pen.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Good job, let me know how well it works.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    anyone know a good place to purchase the other things needed for doing fecals? I have two separate sites I can order from but one of them is out of one of the cups I need.

any direction on this would be great.

8. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    When I worked at a vet clinic, we did fecals for free to encourage the livestock owners the importance of parasite control. All we did is use a small pill vial (no cap), smashed up the fecal material, add flotation solution and stir and then put a slide on top of that. You could read the slide without a cover slip but it was really nice to use a cover slip. We were "thrifty" so we would have to clean and sterilize the pill vials and glass slides to reuse again.
    Sue

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know once you do it over and over it gets simple to do and I just wanted to see if you think all these steps that fiasco farm suggests are worth it:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/fecals.htm

thanks for taking a look for me

10. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Stacey I take boiling water and add salt and keep adding it till no more desolves. I let it cool and it is good to use. I take about 6 berries in a small plastic cup with enough salt water to cover berries good and then take a popcicle stick and break berries up then swirl around a few times. Take and stain through cheese cloth or gauze into another little plastic cup then pour into pill bottle to where it almost spills over. Put slide on top and let stand 20 min. After 20 min pick up slide and turn over and place slide cover on and do not push down. Read the slide and most of the eggs will be around the edges of the slide. I just did fecals this morning after a 5 day round of Sulmet and everyone is clear as a bell except for a few brown stomach worm eggs which I usually see a few of those each time. The 4 mo bucklings however had a few too few brown stomach worm eggs so they will get dewormed today. I want them growing good so I prefer their levels be down alittle more. I also checked eye lids and man I have never seen these guys eye lids so red. Really makes me feel good to see such great results.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh this is good information thank you!

So what you do use as your pictures for the eggs? the ones on fiasco farm or do you have another resource?

12. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I use fiasco farms pics

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    those plastic condiment cups available at Sam's club.... several hundred for 5 bucks, work like a charm. They even come w/lids to mark each cup per goatie. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they have the slide kits the cheapest, but I don't remember exact cost on them.