The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sent 6 samples in to the lab in Wisconsin and I get the results back saying.
Donkey - 78 epg
Goat 1 - 8 epg
Goat 2 - 33 epg
Cow- 3 epg
Camel - 0 epg
Alpacas- 2 epg
No coccidia, all stomach worms.
Last time I sent fecals off which was earlier this year my camel came back at 500 epg and same with goats. Also, a friend sent off samples of her goats, horses and cow and except for the horses they came back at 0epg. How is this possible? I thought all animals carry a little bit of a worm load and how is it that none show Coccidia when I just treated my camel (who is in same pasture as alpacas and cow) for coccidia. I mean I can understand that she is clean now but what are the chances the alpacas and cow would show none? Makes me think this lab is bogus. Thoughts?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you suggesting that eggs are not shed every time an animal poos? And I just happened to collect samples on a day that eggs were not shed? I'm pretty sure that is not how it works. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
That is what my vet told me. No eggs are not shed every time.

If you think about it, there is no way eggs are going to equally shed every time they poop. Stuff just doesn't happen that way.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Eggs are shed in cycles...best to test a week apart to be sure...especially when count is real low or 0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts