The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes. I use cydectin oral sheep drench for mine and have never had an issue. There is a withdrawal time if you are consuming the milk. I would not use Valbazen during the first three months of pregnancy though. I use 4.5 ml/25lbs

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
How high are the levels, like dangerously high? White FAMACHA score? If they are extremely high and the goats are acting sick, you may want to use a different dewormer first and then follow up with cydectin so that the parasites don't get killed all at once.

It is safe for does feeding kids.

When were the does bred?

Dosage for cydectin sheep drench is 4.5 ml per 25 lbs. Repeat in 10 days, 3 times.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I prefer not to treat pregnant goats as anything has potential to cause issue..but sometimes we don't have a choice.. the sheep drench mentioned is fine but not Cydectin cattle pour on. (Purple stuff)

·
14,730 Posts
If they are bad, I would do as suggested above and use something less aggressive - Safegard or Ivermectin, then come back with Cydectin/Moxidectin so you don't cause a big kill off. If they are really close to kidding and you can wait that's what I would do.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Ivimec maybe better for a more gentle kill over safeguard which may not do enough. Another thought it tummy tamer which is a blend of house hold herbs that address parasites. It may hold them until kidding time. Or along with ivomec .
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm (can find in capsules at most pharmacies)
Cinnamon
ACV
Molasses( prefer black strap)
In 20-30cc water..drench 2 times a day

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How high are the levels, like dangerously high? White FAMACHA score? If they are extremely high and the goats are acting sick, you may want to use a different dewormer first and then follow up with cydectin so that the parasites don't get killed all at once.

It is safe for does feeding kids.

When were the does bred?

Dosage for cydectin sheep drench is 4.5 ml per 25 lbs. Repeat in 10 days, 3 times.
She is at 800epg and was put in with my buck in November I’m not sure the exact date she bred. Her sister is ready to kid any day so I don’t know if she did take or if she took later than the other doe.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
She is at 800epg and was put in with my buck in November I’m not sure the exact date she bred. Her sister is ready to kid any day so I don’t know if she did take or if she took later than the other doe.
What are their FAMACHA scores? If they are bad, then go ahead and deworm them, and also start anemia treatment. If not, then just monitor them and wait to deworm until right after they kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts