The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to learn how to do my own fecals!!! I just dropped off a sample at my vet. Goat and horse. $80 for the goat and $70 for the horse!! Sticker shock!! I would love to do it on a regular basis but daaaaaaaamn!
Tell me your costs so I can dream of moving to where you are馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Ours charges 12 bucks for a regular fecal. And they just say treat or not. I like MeadowMist as they give you what your dealing with and how many .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my results
Cocci FEC 104
Strongyles FEC 128
Vet gave me albon for cocci and Panacur (fenbendazole) horse paste for strongyles. She said a whole horse you鈥檝e for each doe 1/2 got my little buck and a squirt for the little doeling (3weeks)
Does that gel with you folks? And how much albon should I give? I also have Corid and it鈥檚 done fine in the past but I know it鈥檚 considered pretty junk.
thanks everyone.
the horses csme back strongyles FEC of 100. She said Quest for them.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Just so you know, it is very easy to do your own fecals if you would like to learn. Let me know if you want to learn more.

If corid has worked for you in the past it's fine to use that. Albon's good too though. It's up to you which you want to use.

Registered
Wish I had read this earlier, we just dropped some off Friday to our vet. I knew we could have them sent off for $6 but figured with the time it took and shipping cost would be more expedient to go through our vet. Now I'm concerned. :( Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I d
Just so you know, it is very easy to do your own fecals if you would like to learn. Let me know if you want to learn more.

If corid has worked for you in the past it's fine to use that. Albon's good too though. It's up to you which you want to use.
I def would. I鈥檒l pm you if that鈥檚 ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I had read this earlier, we just dropped some off Friday to our vet. I knew we could have them sent off for $6 but figured with the time it took and shipping cost would be more expedient to go through our vet. Now I'm concerned. :( Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Hopefully you are further from ny. It seems like everything is more expensive here 馃槫

Registered
Goat Mentor
Cocci and Stronglye numbers are pretty good I wouldn鈥檛 personally be concerned about those or give albon or fenbendazole...

Maybe albon if the goat is under a few months old as a general practice.

Registered
Goat Mentor
I鈥檓 super cautious about quest especially with horses as it doesn鈥檛 have a wide margin of safety. An FEC of 100 for a horse is also pretty good if the horse seems healthy. But something like Equimax or Ivermectin Horse Paste is what I would use before Quest.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I鈥檓 super cautious about quest especially with horses as it doesn鈥檛 have a wide margin of safety. An FEC of 100 for a horse is also pretty good if the horse seems healthy. But something like Equimax or Ivermectin Horse Paste is what I would use before Quest.
Hmmm that鈥檚 interesting, they do seem pretty good. They are both early 20s geldings. I鈥檓 new to horse ownership. One of them
Has been on the vets worming schedule but I would prefer to be specific about dosing. They were wormed with equimax in November as per vets schedule she said she likes to do quest in the spring.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just reading on Penn State site about FECs and yes they seem to be on the low shedder side. I鈥檓 going to hold off a while. Meanwhile I鈥檓 going to try and learn to do my own fecals. Thank you. I gave the goats the Panacur last night. I鈥檝e just ordered Albon. The bet gave me a bottle and when I read up the dosage馃檮!! Why would you give me 60ccs for 3 full size goats and one kid! I oredered the big bottle and I鈥檓 going to return this little tiny bottle. No point in starting treatment and then stopping.

Registered
Hopefully you are further from ny. It seems like everything is more expensive here 馃槫
Yep, I live where property is cheap. Vet office call for livestock is $17 plus $5 for each goat to castrate :) but they also charge $4 for banamine and $4 for a CDT so it's $13 each actual. Wages are proportionate to our housing and other costs, probably all comes out in the wash.

We've only used Panacur once years ago and it came from the vet. I want to say we had to give it for 3 or 5 days in a row to be effective per the vet we got it from. There are so many different types of Strongyles, I have had little luck with Ivermectin cleaning them out, but Quest or Quest Plus does okay. We've used Quest/Quest Plus since 2013 with no known issues. The dewormer I honestly prefer to use is Valbazen (not safe for pregnant does), we give it 3 days in a row and it cleans them out.
Doing your own fecals can save $$$ and you can keep an eye on things a little better without having to worry about taking a sample somewhere.
We have had luck with CoRid, but not with the diluting in water dosage, a long time breeder gave me a different dosage and have had better luck with it. I prefer to use Sulfadimethoxine on kids or any goat that has a mild or high cocci count and is not feeling well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We've only used Panacur once years ago and it came from the vet. I want to say we had to give it for 3 or 5 days in a row to be effective per the vet we got it from. There are so many different types of Strongyles, I have had little luck with Ivermectin cleaning them out, but Quest or Quest Plus does okay. We've used Quest/Quest Plus since 2013 with no known issues. The dewormer I honestly prefer to use is Valbazen (not safe for pregnant does), we give it 3 days in a row and it cleans them out.
Doing your own fecals can save $$$ and you can keep an eye on things a little better without having to worry about taking a sample somewhere.
We have had luck with CoRid, but not with the diluting in water dosage, a long time breeder gave me a different dosage and have had better luck with it. I prefer to use Sulfadimethoxine on kids or any goat that has a mild or high cocci count and is not feeling well.
Thank you so much for taking the time.
Geez it鈥檚 all so confusing. There really is no standards. Vet said just the one dose of Panacur, but everything leads me to believe that the vets dont seem to have dosages for goats. Can I ask what dose on the CoRid you use to get results? And I presume you are drenching if not in water.

Registered
I really need to learn how to do my own fecals!!! I just dropped off a sample at my vet. Goat and horse. $80 for the goat and $70 for the horse!! Sticker shock!! I would love to do it on a regular basis but daaaaaaaamn!
Tell me your costs so I can dream of moving to where you are馃ぃ馃ぃ
I suggest watching YouTube videos for help. I learned by watching them, and they are super helpful. However, you are going to need your own microscope to be able to see the worm eggs. If you don鈥檛 have one, then you won鈥檛 be able to do it yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts