Feed a doe her milk *update on Chey*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rebelshope, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Chey has been having a hard time. As some of you may know she had c-section, and lost her baby. Yesterday I look her back to the vet's because she has a retained placenta. She is on oxytocin, Naxcel, and I have been given her a keto drench, vit. b, probiotics. She really has not been eating well at all. She ate some alfalfa at the vet clinic so the vet gave me some. She has been nibbling on that but in general is not really eating well. She was very interested her own milk this morning. I let her have it. Tonight she really wanted it too. So I let her drink it. I was just wondering how much of it can she have? SInce she is not eating much else i thought it would at least help healthful for her.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Feed a doe her milk

wow.........I have no idea ...on her drinking her own milk ....I never heard of that before ....sorry I couldn't help .... :sigh:

But ...changing her diet ...especially with milk...be careful ..she may scour...because she is not use to it....

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

I have heard of feeding some back to the doe, and I don't want to make her more sick, but she is not eating that much - maybe I should mix it with alfalfa pellets... hummm

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

now that is an idea.... :wink:

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas

If I have extra I feed it back to a couple of my does who love it and will fight over it too. It's a great source of calcium, vitamins, etc.....

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I am sure if she wants it there is a reason .... I like to believe my goats in a way know what they need.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If she wants her own milk that bad there must be something in it she needs. I would probably keep giving her some until she starts to eat other things.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

Thanks guys, that is kind of what I was thinking too. I think I may add it to some pellets to see if can get her to eat that too.

9. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan

Our dairy Goat Aja last year had to take extra zinc and the only way to get her to take it (it was a powder) was to add it to a little of her milk... and she took it like a champ but no milk no zinc...

Donna B

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

my goat LOVES to drink her own milk, and when we have too much or she has been dosed I just feed it right back to her. Or if I leave the pail lying around by accident she is right in there slurping it up... and then it gets in her nose and she sneezes milk EVERYWHERE :greengrin: it's never done her any harm! Plus, the calcium etc in it is really good for them.

LW

11. GoatGirl

GoatGirl New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Portland, TN

Hmm. . . I had never heard of feeding a doe her own milk until just now. . . I'm curious. . . I wonder if my goats would/should??????? It would be a good way to get calcium etc. . . hmm. . .

12. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Chey is not as interested in her milk, but I think she may be nursing off her self. Not sure. She wanted to go outside today, which is a first. She had been sitting in a dark corner of her stall, but today she really wanted to get out and roam and eat and even butted the kids a few times. So improvement.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She sounds like she is doing better, at least wanting to be outside shows improvement. Maybe getting some fresh air and sunshine will entice her to nibble some fresh spring grass. As far as the milk goes, if she wants it give it, but if she's a self nurser, you may not get much out of her as she's beating you to it. Did she expell the placenta? With "natural" deliveries, sometimes kids nursing will help the uterus to contract and deliver the afterbirth, you milking her as well as her nursing herself will help with that as well.