The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Alfalfa is very important. They need the calcium to make milk and prevent them from becoming hypocalcemic. You don't find does in the Top Ten that are fed grass hay.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I give alfalfa pellets, a sweet feed, and distillers grains plus minerals, grass hay, and fresh browser when possible. I try to fill them up on their "production" food on the milk stand and give them the grass hay to keep them busy munching and not bored the rest of the day. When they aren't in milk they just get minerals and grass hay. I think for a family milker you can do pretty well without the alfalfa especially if you are careful with their nutitional needs from other sources, but alfalfa sure makes getting them that calcium and stuff for milk a lot easier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info thanks everyone.. Right now I am doing a "polo mix" as they call it here in south Florida which is quality alfalfa and a orchid grass mix.. We just moved from Texas so trying to figure out what these folks down here have for my heard... And of course I do onyx and a organic goat blend from Texas... I was missing the alfalfa element the last 2 weeks because I couldn't find it until I went down the street a bit further to find one of the US's largest polo associations.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
What would be the best mix of grain for milking does to eat? Our co-op only has %14 goat pellets, and I feel we should be feeding a bit more protein. We would like to switch to a feed that has no GMO corn in it, so I would appreciate any advice on what kind of mix is the best. Also, could I feed the same thing to non- milking goats?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NDLover we just came from central Texas and so bought our non go organic feed up in Elgin from Coyote Creek mill. The organic goat dairy we bought our alpines from exclusively used them for her feed and I still feed my goats that now as I bulked up on it before moving.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Most dairy breeders don't feed a very high protein grain. The goats get their protein from the alfalfa. I feed a 16% goat ration and they all get alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is the best source of calcium and protein you can give your goats.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I find anything higher than 16% protein actually seems to drop production in most of my girls.

I do not feed my non-producing does the same thing as my producing does because they get just completely obese if i do. Anyone not in milk just gets grass hay unless they are being fattened up for freezer camp. I may give them some feed and alfalfa the month before they are bred and the first month of so of pregnancy, but after that it is just hay and minerals right up until they freshen.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
NDLover we just came from central Texas and so bought our non go organic feed up in Elgin from Coyote Creek mill. The organic goat dairy we bought our alpines from exclusively used them for her feed and I still feed my goats that now as I bulked up on it before moving.
I've heard of Coyote Creek Mill. We've actually been considering getting our feed from there! It's kind of a long drive, though, so we've been a little slow to commit. I'm thinking it's worth it, though .
I give alfalfa pellets, a sweet feed, and distillers grains plus minerals, grass hay, and fresh browser when possible. I try to fill them up on their "production" food on the milk stand and give them the grass hay to keep them busy munching and not bored the rest of the day. When they aren't in milk they just get minerals and grass hay. I think for a family milker you can do pretty well without the alfalfa especially if you are careful with their nutitional needs from other sources, but alfalfa sure makes getting them that calcium and stuff for milk a lot easier.
Thank you so much! Sometimes I can't believe how stupid I am. I did not know that non milking goats needed no grain. Well, I knew that bucks didn't need it, but not the others!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts