The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will feeding sweet feed harm my nigerian dwarfs? I just recently heard it can give tthem kidney stones!
Also, what is good for worming? Those names are SO confusing!

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Hello,

The kidney stone theory with sweet feed is false! The cause of kidney stones in goats is an imbalance of calcium to phosphorus. Calcium (alfalfa hay, clover hay, and alfalfa pellets) should be twice the amount of phosphorus (grain).

As far as worming products go you should rotate the worming cycle between three different products (each worms a different type of worm). However, Ivermectin works well where I live (MN). MN worms die each season due to our winters though. :snowcheese:

Patrick

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I just switched to Fir Meadows which is an herbal dewormer. I was confused on many of the other chemical dewormers myself.

As far as grain for your boys, my wethers and bucks have always gotten grain, and I've never had a problem.

·
4,499 Posts
Well, I feed with DE in their food, so I hope that takes care of a lot of the worm issues...otherwise, I worm w/chemical wormer when they kid, and give herbal wormer periodically. Mostly I just try to keep them healthy, in order to avoid worm overload.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
You're going to get a lot of different replies. :laugh:

My boys do not get grain. The first wethers I sold got kidney stones due to excess grain. If you feed very limited grain, it MAY not be a problem, but the risk is higher, and I don't want to take it. With pets, I just don't see a need to warrant the risk. Even my bucks don't get grain, they get high quality hay, and alfalfa pellets. My pet wethers get the same, good grass hay, and about a half cup of alfalfa pellets each. This balances their calcium/phosphorus ratio. If they are getting alfalfa mix hay, that is almost perfectly ideal, and they shouldn't need anything else besides, of course, minerals. :)

I also use Fir Meadow's GI Soother and DWorm A. With herbs, you don't deal with resistance. When it comes to chemicals, before you deworm, it is best to have a fecal done by your vet. They are usually inexpensive. What that will do is tell you what worms they have, so you know what dewormer to use. You don't want to deworm without knowing what worms they have, as that can cause resistance. Most people recommend, due to the massive issues with resistance, that you use a dewormer until it doesn't work anymore.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies! I do not have any boys -yet - but I feed my girls 1 3/4 cup of 12% sweet feed from tractor supply. I think its probably too much, since my girls are a little pudgy! :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts