The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another feed question.

We just brought home 2 Pygmys that were banded yesterday. We plan on local grass hay, Purina goat chow, loose minerals, and we also have Animal Crackers, raisins, and peanuts for the occasional treat.
Blackberry bushes, and other forms of browse will also be given to them.

Are we missing anything?

These guys are scared, cowering in the corner. I am hoping with small treats they will start to become more comfortable with us.

I read so much conflicting info on goats.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
893 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track with feed. They are probably just acting this way because for one, they are probably a little sore from getting banded. If you have some banamine that would help with the pain. And two, they probably are just getting weaned from their mothers and taken away from their herd and what's familiar to them. The best cure for that is lots of TLC and TIME. They will come around, they are probably just a little scared right now. But once they figure out your the good guys....they'll be your best friends.

·
Super Moderator
59,749 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I would start sitting in their pen and reading a book. Spend lots and lots of time with them.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Be very careful with the chow, it does not have ammonium chloride, which should be added. I personally don't like feeding wethers any grain, but if they do get it, I would give 1/4 cup. They can usually maintain their weight very well with grass hay ... the most important thing for wethers is the calcium phosphorus ratio. Bascially, they need a little more than twice as much calcium as phosphorus. So, a wether would do fine on grass/alfalfa hay mix alone with no grain, or with a grass hay and a bit of alfalfa pellets daily. My little wethers get 1/2 a cup of alfalfa pellets, my full-grown get a cup.

Only reason I'm so uncomfortable with the grain is I have seen SO MANY problems with urinary calculi ... in my area high phosphorus is a problem. BUT ammonium chloride should help protect them.

After that book ... you're on the right track! Treats will bring them boys around. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

We got some grass hay for them and they seem to be enjoying that. I also bought some SE90 minerals and it looks like they got a little bit of that as well. I am keeping the minerals to a minimum until I buy a more goat specific type.
They haven't drank any water that I can see, but it is available for them if needed.

Again, Thanks for your help.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts