The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my helpful goat spot friends :) I purchased a new buck....so excited!!! I took him home at 2 months old since he was a trip and they were just sucking the life from mom. He was a nice fat little sucker with rolls on his neck. I know weaning will take a toll on gaining weight so I expected that, but he is loosing his rolls :( and just not seeming to gain weight as well as the other kids who are weaned. Right now I am feeding him this
http://elkgrovemilling.com/sheep_mix.html
mixed with some sweet feed and free choice alfalfa hay, well I guess the grain is free choice as well lol. He does not have worms or cocci and he is not getting pushed off the feed since there is 3 feeders out and he lives with my 2 other bucks who seem to like him. I am picking up a bag of calf manna tomorrow because I know that helps and to be honest my other 2 boys need it after making me babies. I always hear about these other feeds but dont really pay attention since this feed has always worked for me but just does not seem to be cutting it for him. I spent a lot of money on him to finaly get a tank of a buck with a wide chest and rump so I dont want draged down at all. Any help would be awsome.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
What about a copper bolus or BoSe shot? Did you have a fecal test done to be sure he had no worms or coccidia?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copper yes Bose kinda makes me nervous so no. I do have vit. E sel past so maybe I'll try that. And yes first fecal done on one of my goats and vet said he looks good

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK WENT TO FEED STORE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS MIX.....I PUT 7 part of the wet cob (they are obsessed with it) 3 parts of that mix 1beat pulp 1 calf manna and 1 black sunflower seed. I'm basically feeding as a creep feed...feed when it runs out give more. Your guys thought? And of course feed choice alfalfa. I'm going to weigh in a bit then weigh again in a week.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess that mix works almost too good. He weighed 47.5 on 6/11 and I weighed him today 6/25 and he is 59.5 lbs. so if I did it right thats a daily gain of 0.85 almost 86. Im not sure what a good daily gain is but Im good with this :) Just thought I would post this if anyone ever searches for a good feed to feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts