The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having trouble finding the right feed this is probably going to be a long post sorry...

So i have 5 mixed breed (no idea with what) "woodsy" goats ...out of those their is a 4 year old nanny with no kids at the moment, her daughter who is 2 and her 2 month old buck, and my older nannies 6 month old doe twins (weaned)
Then i recently got 5 boer goats some percentage some purebred if it matters and those are a 6 month old buck, 3 does im not sure their age though one looks about 2 one has a little bit of a sway back so she has to be a older and one looks about between the 2, then i have a 3 month doe from the older looking Nannie.

Every feed method i have tried dosent seem to work they are wormed and vaccinated but i don't think they are getting enough nutrients in their diet. Another thing is my small little town i can't find beet pulp anywhere or black sunflower seeds.

Right now they are in a field with grass and lots of weeds and things and access to the horses regular grass hay at all times, then i give them at least a cup or more depending on which goat it is of 1/3 medicated producers pride goat feed, 1/3 dumor regular goat feed, and 1/3 dumor goat sweet feed.

I dont know its like they will get big and fat but only on their belly it won't exactly stay on them ...on the boer does mostly they are always a little Sunk in but their bellies are big it hard to explain sorry
... but they were on just feed when we got them and aren't used to eating alot of grass so they used to just stand and wait to be fed but now they go out with the others and eat.

Also its only the does that do that my bucks who are in a separate pen but get the same thing are always big and fat?

...Any ideas on what could be wrong or what to change? Also our TSC dosent carry alot of different goat feeds but i could work it out so i could get the right kind maybe. Thank you anyone who can help. :D again sorry for long confusing post.

·
I'm watching you
22,514 Posts
Your does need more calcium, they aren't putting their stores back after stress. Now I don't like "garbage grain" feeds at all and your medication isn't doing anything diluted out like that.

You can try this or not, up to you.
Spend your money on alfalfa instead of grain pellets. Hay or pellets is fine. They waste much less of pellets. Give them a little more then 2% of their body weight once they are worked up on them. They will eat what they need.
For grain carbs, give plain rolled oats and not much. Maybe 1/2 a pound per goat and if they need more, you'll see it.
It takes them time to switch to whole foods so, take it slow. They have to build the proper gut bugs to digest it.
Some goats throw a fit when their donuts and candy are taken away. Don't give in, they will eat it.

·
1,524 Posts
I would also have a fecal run on them. Just because you have wormed them doesn't mean that you got all the classes of worms they might have in their bodies. It never hurts to have a fecal done.

I know you probably don't have much in the way of feed choices from the sounds of it, but I would stay away from the Dumor/producers pride lines of feed. They are the generic version of feeds and not really top quality.

By a cup, do you mean you use a measuring cup? If so, that doesn't seem like a lot of feed for growing kids, lactating moms or ones you are trying to get weight on.

When the bellies look big, that is because the rumen is full. Once they have emptied it, their bellies will go down until they fill it again.

I agree with goat hiker, alfalfa (I use pellets) and oats are a very good ration. I can't get oats. When I could, thats what my dairy herd got, along with soaked beet pulp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
your tractor supply should carry boss (black oil sunflower seed) i have now even started to see boss be carried in the local walmart by the wild bird food, remember B.o.s.s. At TSC is down where they keep all the bird food at comes in a orange bag

as for using dumor, i use dumor! lol and my girls are very heathly. i use a feed mix of

1 quart (Dumor Goat Sweet Formula Feed)
2 hand fulls of boss (black oil sun flower seed)
1 oz scoop of "manna pro goat balancer"
(1 quart +/- alfalfa pellets: they only get this every few feedings)

which i get all from tractor supply i also use there ricebran for skinny girls, i have a post here

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/does-rice-bran-work-weight-gainer-yes-photos-148827/

in the morning they have choice of coastal hay or peanut hay. 24/7 they have choice of minerals < goat mineral by manna pro from TSC ,baking soda, and salt block <also from TSC
(its really important to put out baking soda and minerals at all times, they will lick up what they need)

Your tractor supply should be able to order stuff for you, i live about 40 miles out of town...and i had to pull some teeth the first time to find out they WILL order you anything you ask! they just find it a hassle...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a few weeks ago i slowly transitioned the boers to no feed just hay and made them eat grass just because some refused to eat grass (the woods goats aren't on feed and are big and fat) and i am just now starting the feed up again but im trying to make sure they still eat weeds mostly. so i think im going to try alfalfa pellets. and as for the oats is regular oats ok or do i need to get rolled oats?

I didnt think about it before but Do you think it could be from the mineral block i have? I just have a regular salt and regular mineral blocks out but they are almost gone so i have to get more anyway so i was thinking i should change what kind i get. I think what I have been using is more for horses and cows than for goats and i found a goat block that im going to try. Maybe that will help alot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok I finally know what boss is i had no idea what that was when people would say they use it but i have heard sunflower seeds before thanks for clearing that up i feel kinda dumb lol

I guess its not a real cup but i use a big scoop thing that if you count it in real cups it probably holds 5 or more...sorry i dont know why I said cup i meant scoop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baking soda as in regular baking soda? Or is it a special kind? I've always wanted to ask since i found this app but didnt want to start a whole new thread just to ask that...

It's amazing how much I've learned from this app and all you helpful guys i probably sound dumb with all these questions but im learning alot :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
no no, i was the same way!! when i got into goats i remember going to TSC and asking "do you guys sell boss?" i was better off asking my chickens for help....then i found out its just "black oil sun flower seeds" and its down the bird seed aisle......talk about feeling silly...and then i have also asked that same very Question? just regular baking soda? And the answer is.....Yes! the kind you get at the store i buy the biggest box they have you know the "arm & hammer baking soda" comes in a orange box you can get it at the grocery store, i know it kinda sounds weird....watch when you first put it out, put some in your hand they will gobble it down....and just leave it in a dish so they can get to it whenever they want, i got this black dish from TSC holds 2 things, i put baking soda in one and then the goat mineral on the other side. they will lick up what they need.

·
Registered
96 Posts
also remember much of everything we Add to our goats feed are not made for goats, you will find more stuff down were they keep the horse feeds such as beet pulp. (tractor supply does sell beet pulp) they only sell standlee brand, which is a great brand! but a little bit more pricey, the good news for you is if they really don't have it in stock they can order it for you! :) you would find this down the horse feed aisle normally i notice in TSC its by the horse treats (all standlee products are kept together they come in kinda colorful bags so be on the look out) the beet pulp shreds are in a orange bag or beet pulp pellet which is in a grey bag (goats tend to like the shreds over the pellet) also standlee carries a whole line of hay pellet or cubed products at TSC, i use there alfalfa pellets which come in a purple bag..and like i said before they can order this stuff for you If they say "no sorry we cant" call there online number and tell them what store. because there shouldn't be a problem. like i said...i really had to ask about 4 times and call a few numbers before someone ordered what i needed but it was out of stock. hopefully you don't have a problem!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, at least im not the only one :D ill go get some when i make my feed run this weekend ill make sure to check the bird isle for boss and ill ask about ordering beet pulp cause i never see any and there is some hoof trimmers ive heard are really good but they are always out of stock and ive checked every time i go for 2 months now so ill do that, plus the cashiers and workers are very friendly and helpful so maybe it won't be to hard to get some things ordered special :D

·
I'm watching you
22,514 Posts
Good loose minerals will be better then blocks too. The goat blocks are for protein not minerals. Feeding alfalfa, you shouldn't need to add protein.
TSC does carry Manna-Pro goat minerals, which are pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts