The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that make your own goat feed...what do you put in it and how much do you feed pregnant and milking does a day? Thanks!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't make my own goat feed, but I do add supplements.
First, they get free-choice goat minerals, bicarbonate soda, zinpro 4-plex, kelp, and yeast culture. Along with a sulfur block.
I feed them Blue Seal dairy goat with black sunflower seeds, shredded beet pulp, steamed flaked barley, whole oats, alfalfa pellets, and flax seed.

I have seen better conditions and more production since I have done this management. They also are much more immune to worms also.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you also feed hay or just the alfalfa pellets? Just curious what does the yeast culture do? I'm new sorry!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grass hay or alfalfa? I meant to specify in the previous post. If I free choice Bermuda hay will alfalfa pellets be enough? I can't find anyone that bales alfalfa around here

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I like an alfalfa/grass mix but if you can't find it, you feed what you can find. The alfalfa pellets should be fine.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part Beet pulp

mix well...use one part mix to 3 part alflalfa pellets...

our scoops are 3 pound plastic coffee cans..but your scoop can be anything used in this measuring system...
most our girls get 2-3 coffee can fulls...larger gals and more milk might get more while those who do less milk or smaller gals get less....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts