The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I began a new feeding regimen for our herd of 20 goats. I was hoping for some advice and opinions on the quantity that I feed.

The mixture is

2 parts goat grain
1 part alfalfa cube
1 part beet pulp
1 part sunflower seed

I have 4 troughs from TSP, and I have been using one of the plastic colored grain scoops from TSP, and I spread 1 scoop per trough.

Somebody told me each goat only needs a cup a day, and this is way more. I only want to do this feeding 1 time per day as opposed to 2.

Please share thoughts and advice! :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
is that the only thing they are eating? The average dairy goat needs a good sized flake of quality hay per day if that is all they are eating. So 1 lbs sounds way light to me. Not sure what our flakes weigh but I know its more then a lbs.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Fermentation? Is this like haylage? Why would you be feeding grain to various ages and sizes of goats at once? The smaller ones cannot compete with the bigger ones and, depending on the size of the scoop, that can lead to grain overload and acidosis.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's haylage, there is very little mold with my supplier and they have been on it for months.

I am feeding grain to all so that they grow. The kids are the healthiest I have ever raised, and there is no acidosis here, they have an unlimited supply of baking soda next to their mineral.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fermentation? Is this like haylage? Why would you be feeding grain to various ages and sizes of goats at once? The smaller ones cannot compete with the bigger ones and, depending on the size of the scoop, that can lead to grain overload and acidosis.
There is no competition. I have enough troughs that it seems to be working where the adults eat faster, and when they run out they move to the spots where the kids are and push them away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts