Feed prices

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 5, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yesterday I bought feed and now with tax it is over 12.00 for a 50lb bag!!

I don't know what I am going to do! Goodness gracious!

It is a good thing I feed fastrack to them, it certainly cuts down on the amount of feed I go through but wow I can't believe that it went up over a dollar! :evil:

It is so hard to find feed around here and now my favorite feed is so expensive. I just have to suck it up I guess. :(

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Prices on everything livestock seem to be rising. I now use a horse feed by platform for mare and foal. I like it cause it has a high copper, zinc and selenium amounts and is a fixed formula with the exact ingredents on the label. It also has alfalfa as the 3rd ingredent. the only bad thing is it cost $15 bucks per 50 lbs. But our goat feed here now is $11 bucks per 50 and has a byproduct tag so I think the extra is worth it.

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I may have to look into a horse feed if the prices keep going up. It is so sad! I mean how can we keep doing this if it keeps going up.

I got a raise the other day and it is like wow great! but then this! argh!

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is outrageous Stacey. I have begun to mix my own feed. I use 12% horse sweet grain with very little molasses and I added 16% goat pellets and then I added BOSS. They seem to be doing very well on it. My horse grain was $7.95 a bag, sunflower seeds were $20.00 and they goat pellets were $8.75. All were 50 lb bags and my cousin helps out with feed so I didn't have to buy that much.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I may begine to mix my own feed as well. You know buy the ingredients. But I have no idea where I will store it all. AHHHHH

thats life on a mini farm I guess

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had the same problem but I made room for it all...kinda hard but I succeeded! :D

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    were there is a will there is a way

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that's right and I know you have the will power to do it.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We grow our own oats and hay, which cuts down on cost, and we just started feeding some of our own corn again. The only thing we have to buy is barley(that's expensive!!) BOSS and wheat bran.
    For storing our feed we have a separate feed house.

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Sarah, How many goats do you have and what breed(s)??

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have around 70 goats right now, permanent numbers are 40, plus we have a pasture poultry business which is why we need a feed house.
    We have boer for meat goats, percentages and fullbloods, and for dairy goats we have mainly LaMancha, with a few Experimentals, Oberhaslis, Saanens, Grades and an Alpine. Plus some Hienz 57s. :)

12. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Wow. That's what I call a herd!!! I only have 7 goats.

13. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    The feed I bought today was $8something a bag (50lbs.), but I think that is what it has been being.... since the herd is expanding a little though it is taking a little more to feed everyone :lol:

14. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    I feed Blue Seal Coarse 14. For 50 pounds its $10.10. The 16% horse feed was $11.95. So I just use the 14% and add a bit more BOSS than usual(ups the protein).

15. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Now the All-Grain that is what is kind of rediculous around here. I think it is close to $9 or $9.50 a bag... alot higher than it used to be.

16. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    My original grain was $8.95 for a 50 lb bag. I have very limited income so I went to a cheaper grain...it has saved a little bit and we don't add very many pellets or sunflower seeds so they will last us a very long time.

17. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    We get our feed from Hallway feeds, 16% medicated, and pay $6.50 a bag plus tax. Where are you guys getting yours? Sounds like people are inflating prices.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine is from Agway but it is a southern states feed.

I asked and they had to up their prices because southern states upped theirs :(

19. getchagoat

getchagoat New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    waco ky
    I don't know what kind you are feeding, but southern states here is selling a 12% for 6.50 a bag.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine is a 16% sweet goat feed. it says Kid and goat on the bag.

It is all I have ever fed. So I am leary of changing anything.