The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it is anyway. I'm considering changing my feed due to the fact that it jumped $2.00 on a 50 pound bag, making it $9.00 a bag. That has really started eating into my profits. My current mix keeps my goats fat and happy but I am asking for your opinion on your mix and how much it is costing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm paying $21.38 for a 75 lb sack of whole oats- alfalfa pellets are 11.23 for a 50 lb sack. I use a mineral mix from the vet. I make my own mix.
I am cautious about the mystery pellets and such in pre-mixed- if they could tell me what in in these mixes and where it came from, I might try a premixed feed again.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use a horse feed due to the fact they list all ingredents in names I recognize. I pay more but to me it is worth knowing what is in their food. Alfalfa meal is the second ingredent. I pay $15.00 per 50 lbs but I have been using coupons for the last 5 bags I got and that makes them $10.00 a bag. Too bad I am out of coupons.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We feed what is called ewe tex. It is for sheep, but goats well on it. We just switched to it a month ago. We have two sheep so we have to use it. It has no copper and is a little lower in protein. Our goats get copper pills. The feed has alfalfa pellets, oats, cracked corn, pellets, and maybe a little molasses. It is about $8.50 a bag. The honor goat feed is $10-$11 a bag. This is 50#.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am hoping that prices will go back down soon. I understand that they are just passing on the transportation cost to us but I wish they wouldn't force us out of the business.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
i feed my goats a premixed feed that doesn't have pellets. mine costs $8.50 for a 50 lb bag. It is horse feed but it has oats, cracked corn and molasses in it. It already has the copper in it too. Then i add boss to it and less than an eighth of a cup of soybeans. and that feeds my girls. My boys get 16% goat pellets that has ammonium chloride in it and i pay $8.75 for a 50 lb bag of it. I just add a handful of boss to it. My boss is $21 for a 50lb bag and all of my goats are healthy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, Scott, we get a pelleted feed from Hallway in Lexington in bulk, ends up being 6.50 a 50lb. bag. We mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with corn for the girls. Right now the bucks just get the pellets but will get more or a different mix as we bulk them up. We don't give them the corn due to UC. I'll have to find out how much on the corn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just phoned them. Accept they priced it to me for $7.00. I ask if they gave a discount if I purchased it by the ton and she said no. She priced the 18% for 8.50 and the 16 and 17 were 7.00 per 50. Are you happy with this feed?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
i buy my feed from the local feed store however i just buy the basic things and then mix it myself. Right now they are getting fry cob, whole oats alfafa pellets barly sunflower seeds. And a helping of beet pulp. During the summer the dry cob changed to wet cob and the beet pulp is eliminated.
Each of these items runs about nine dollars a bag here, give or take on some. Its a lot cheaper then pre mixed feeds.
Im also lucky in the fact that my brother works at the feed store so i get everything at cost.
beth

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I buy "zoo mix" pellets, BOSS, and cracked corn. Each bag is either a 50 or 80 pound bag. I then take and mix it by layering it in a galvanized garbage can.

The goats (does, wethers, and bucks) get 1 1/2 coffee cans at night as a "snack". They are now on Alfalfa/grass and Timothy/grass hay throughout the day, and they also get 2 bags of bread each day, and a dozen or so apples to eat.

I am looking for ways to bring down cost, but I have been feeding this mix and everyone is doing great on it!

My llamas also get the grain mix. Momma gets 3/4 can of mix and silly the baby gets about 1/3 a can at night only.

I spend about 50.00 on the bags for mixing a month, plus their hay.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes, we are happy with this feed. Remember we do mix it with corn. Our friend buys it in bulk and we get a ton at a time from him. Maybe it went up and he didn't charge us the increase, I don't know. I believe it's the 16% (too cold to check right now) :D. Several people buy it from him - he got out of the goat business but keeps supplying feed for those that can't afford bulk all at once.

We don't feed a whole lot as we have hay available. For 28 does and 13 doelings, we feed 2 xtra large cans of feed and 2 cans of corn mixed once a day. And they are all nice and plump. Our hay isn't alfalfa or anything, just grass.

Oh, is that delivered? We are about 45 - 55 mins from them. Are you alot farther? Trying to figure out the difference in price. I do know the other kind that our friend gets is a little bit higher. That's probably the 18%, but I haven't priced that with him in a probably a year when we picked up 2 of the wrong bags.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Geeez, california is expensive comapered to most of you guys!!! Our bags of sweet cob is #50 bags is about $15 and our #75 bags of dry cob are about $16, other brand of #50 bags are usually $13-$14 a bag!! ANd then our alfalfa......right now at the feed store it is $14 a bale, and they are crap, very stemmy, but the goats are doing good on it. I am trying to feed as little grain as possible and try and give them as much alfalfa as they would like. I am starting to feed beet pulp with just a little bit of special made goat grain into it. I am really really hoping the price of hay goes down soon!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can be there in an hour and a half. I would need to buy at least a ton to come out. What I didn't ask them is how long will it keep. I wouldn't mind buying it in larger quantities if it will keep for a while. Since it is a pellet I would think that it would. I've been wanting to go to a pelleted feed anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts