Feed Prices

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Scott, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it is anyway. I'm considering changing my feed due to the fact that it jumped $2.00 on a 50 pound bag, making it $9.00 a bag. That has really started eating into my profits. My current mix keeps my goats fat and happy but I am asking for your opinion on your mix and how much it is costing.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'm paying $21.38 for a 75 lb sack of whole oats- alfalfa pellets are 11.23 for a 50 lb sack. I use a mineral mix from the vet. I make my own mix.
    I am cautious about the mystery pellets and such in pre-mixed- if they could tell me what in in these mixes and where it came from, I might try a premixed feed again.

3. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm assuming you only have a couple of goats.

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I use a horse feed due to the fact they list all ingredents in names I recognize. I pay more but to me it is worth knowing what is in their food. Alfalfa meal is the second ingredent. I pay $15.00 per 50 lbs but I have been using coupons for the last 5 bags I got and that makes them $10.00 a bag. Too bad I am out of coupons.

5. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    We feed what is called ewe tex. It is for sheep, but goats well on it. We just switched to it a month ago. We have two sheep so we have to use it. It has no copper and is a little lower in protein. Our goats get copper pills. The feed has alfalfa pellets, oats, cracked corn, pellets, and maybe a little molasses. It is about $8.50 a bag. The honor goat feed is $10-$11 a bag. This is 50#.

6. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I am hoping that prices will go back down soon. I understand that they are just passing on the transportation cost to us but I wish they wouldn't force us out of the business.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    i feed my goats a premixed feed that doesn't have pellets. mine costs $8.50 for a 50 lb bag. It is horse feed but it has oats, cracked corn and molasses in it. It already has the copper in it too. Then i add boss to it and less than an eighth of a cup of soybeans. and that feeds my girls. My boys get 16% goat pellets that has ammonium chloride in it and i pay $8.75 for a 50 lb bag of it. I just add a handful of boss to it. My boss is $21 for a 50lb bag and all of my goats are healthy.

8. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Hey, Scott, we get a pelleted feed from Hallway in Lexington in bulk, ends up being 6.50 a 50lb. bag. We mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with corn for the girls. Right now the bucks just get the pellets but will get more or a different mix as we bulk them up. We don't give them the corn due to UC. I'll have to find out how much on the corn.

9. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I just phoned them. Accept they priced it to me for $7.00. I ask if they gave a discount if I purchased it by the ton and she said no. She priced the 18% for 8.50 and the 16 and 17 were 7.00 per 50. Are you happy with this feed?

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I get my feed milled in bulk at a local feed mill. It comes out to about $6.00 for 50#.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i buy my feed from the local feed store however i just buy the basic things and then mix it myself. Right now they are getting fry cob, whole oats alfafa pellets barly sunflower seeds. And a helping of beet pulp. During the summer the dry cob changed to wet cob and the beet pulp is eliminated.
    Each of these items runs about nine dollars a bag here, give or take on some. Its a lot cheaper then pre mixed feeds.
    Im also lucky in the fact that my brother works at the feed store so i get everything at cost.
    beth

12. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I only pay 6.50 for a high quality Blue Seal feed. Although I do buy wholesale..and hayy prices here make up for it :(

13. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Moved comments to Newbie post.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We raised our own oats and corn this year for the goats, and we buy barley for our feed, but pretty soon they won't have anymore barley. :(

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I buy "zoo mix" pellets, BOSS, and cracked corn. Each bag is either a 50 or 80 pound bag. I then take and mix it by layering it in a galvanized garbage can.

The goats (does, wethers, and bucks) get 1 1/2 coffee cans at night as a "snack". They are now on Alfalfa/grass and Timothy/grass hay throughout the day, and they also get 2 bags of bread each day, and a dozen or so apples to eat.

I am looking for ways to bring down cost, but I have been feeding this mix and everyone is doing great on it!

My llamas also get the grain mix. Momma gets 3/4 can of mix and silly the baby gets about 1/3 a can at night only.

I spend about 50.00 on the bags for mixing a month, plus their hay.

16. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Yes, we are happy with this feed. Remember we do mix it with corn. Our friend buys it in bulk and we get a ton at a time from him. Maybe it went up and he didn't charge us the increase, I don't know. I believe it's the 16% (too cold to check right now) :D. Several people buy it from him - he got out of the goat business but keeps supplying feed for those that can't afford bulk all at once.

We don't feed a whole lot as we have hay available. For 28 does and 13 doelings, we feed 2 xtra large cans of feed and 2 cans of corn mixed once a day. And they are all nice and plump. Our hay isn't alfalfa or anything, just grass.

Oh, is that delivered? We are about 45 - 55 mins from them. Are you alot farther? Trying to figure out the difference in price. I do know the other kind that our friend gets is a little bit higher. That's probably the 18%, but I haven't priced that with him in a probably a year when we picked up 2 of the wrong bags.

17. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Geeez, california is expensive comapered to most of you guys!!! Our bags of sweet cob is #50 bags is about $15 and our #75 bags of dry cob are about $16, other brand of #50 bags are usually $13-$14 a bag!! ANd then our alfalfa......right now at the feed store it is $14 a bale, and they are crap, very stemmy, but the goats are doing good on it. I am trying to feed as little grain as possible and try and give them as much alfalfa as they would like. I am starting to feed beet pulp with just a little bit of special made goat grain into it. I am really really hoping the price of hay goes down soon!!

18. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I can be there in an hour and a half. I would need to buy at least a ton to come out. What I didn't ask them is how long will it keep. I wouldn't mind buying it in larger quantities if it will keep for a while. Since it is a pellet I would think that it would. I've been wanting to go to a pelleted feed anyway.

19. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I'll ask my friend how long their feed is there. We've never had an issue with it going bad.